Almost dead computer

The voltages are, the connectors unfortunately have minor variations (You should get away with a difference between 20 and 24pin main connector, provided it will physically fit) but if you don't have the extra 4pin 12V connector, the proessor will likely not be powered.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Any joy with the everything removed as suggested? I'd even remove the memory in an attempt to provoke it into beeping which proves there's some hope ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I did the memory before I posted. There are 4 sticks (2 I added last year). I removed them in pairs. No joy.

Reply to
ARW

OK. So the battery is dead. It read less than 1V when removed. Replaced it with a new battery and no difference. However the new battery shoe 1.1V when in the computer!

Reply to
ARW

Is that with the PSU powered up?

Reply to
polygonum

Something else which might be worth checking,ensure the cable is connected properly, both at the back of the computer and monitor.

Reply to
greyridersalso

Should POST even with no monitor.

Reply to
polygonum

No.

Reply to
ARW

Maybe the 'new one' wasn't that new or was DOA. Try an other 'known good' one. Check battery-voltage _before_ insertion under load. i.e- with a resistor (value between 1 amd 10 Kiloohms) parallel to the battery. Voltage should not drop below 3V.

Other possible causes for the voltage-drop:

-CLR_CMOS-jumper in the wrong position

-Short-circuit on the board. Any signs of corrosion/leaked electrolyte at/near the battery-holder?

Reply to
Matthias Czech

Not actually tried it, but I'm not convinced a dead battery would stop the BIOS running. It would stop it saving any changes, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Certain parameters are saved, and they can get scrambled if the battery is NBG. That can be enough to stop it booting (I've been told, but hasn't happened to me).

The OP needs to reset the BIOS - RTFM for how to - as well as putting in a new battery.

I've never quite understood the difference between a CR2016, a CR2032 (the most common ones), or a CR2025? They look almost identical, but possibly if you have the wrong one it will not make a good contact or short out.

Reply to
GB

Yes, I know, GIYF.

Here's a question we hear often: What is the difference between a CR2025 and a CR2032, or between a CR2016 and a CR2025, or between a CR2016 and a CR1620? Here's another one: How do I select the right coin cell for my application?

A battery with a part number consisting of BR or CR followed by four digits is a single Lithium cell in a small, disk-shaped package. Its terminals are the metallic surfaces on either side. It is called a coin cell because it somewhat resembles a coin in size and shape, although its engravings are completely devoid of artistic merit and its date marking may seem highly improbable. Also, it is rumored that coin cells tend to jam vending machines.

Actually, no one seems inclined to interpret the numbers as dates, which is just as well, because their correct interpretation is as follows: First two digits: Diameter in millimeters Last two digits: Thickness in tenths of a millimeter

Examples: a CR2032 is 20 mm in diameter and 3.2 mm thick, while a CR2016 is the same diameter (20 mm) but only half as thick (1.6 mm). A CR1620, on the other hand, is 16 mm in diameter and 2.0 mm thick. Note that these numbers should be considered nominal dimensions, as there may be very slight variations between brands in the same part number. However, in our experience, these differences are not discernible without the aid of a micrometer or a precision caliper. Every cell that we ship for a given part number will fit any standard socket or holder designed for a cell with that part number.

Reply to
GB

It should still start up even if the battery is missing let alone dead. Course it won't remember its settings but it should at least start..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , ARW writes

Check the reset button is not stuck in or the switch shorted. The wires from the front panel will go to a header on the motherboard, the 2 pin conn on that one should be marked Reset SW, just pull em off for a quick test.

The low voltage battery bit does sound a bit dodge though.

Reply to
fred

Thickness.

Diameter 20. Thickness 1.6, 3.2 or 2.5 mm.

Reply to
polygonum

Am 03.11.2013 14:43, schrieb tony sayer:

Yes. It should. But this Acer i was struggling with, didn't know that. New battery and all was fine.

Reply to
Matthias Czech

Yes, and the capacity is different. See my reply-to-myself post. Will the thinner ones work in a holder meant for CR2032? I guess that's going to depend on the holder, and there may be intermittent contact.

Reply to
GB

Some machines work with a dead bios battery, some just play dead

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If a new CR2032 shows 1.1V, then there's a relatively large current being drawn. The open circuit voltage, which is slightly more than what you should be seeing, is 3.1 volts or so when fresh, dropping to 2.5 when flat. A load that will drop that to 1.1V will flatten the cell in minutes.

There's possibly a problem with tracks partially shorting on the motherboard due, more than likely, to liquid damage such as can be caused by a leaking electrolytic capacitor. Either that or the RTC/ CMOS RAM chip has a fault.

Good luck. If you're charging for your time, it's cheaper to just replace the motherboard, if it's just a hobby project, then there will be great satisfaction in finding and fixing the fault.

Reply to
John Williamson

I've had computers fail to boot due to a defective CMOS RAM backup battery before now. Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook? tablet. It was a long time ago, and I couldn't get it to boot from a standard HD, after I replaced the battery either, it had a signature check in the BIOS for a genuine Fujitsu MBR.

Reply to
John Williamson