Allen Autoscythe

Does anyone know what size the recessed central nut holding the flywheel fan casting on the engine of one of these beasties is? I bought one (non running) for entertainment and repair and need to strip it but can't find anything in my tools to fit it. I am guessing it will be either BSW or imperial AF but with a thin wall socket as there isn't much clearance. Secondly is it left or right hand thread?

John

Reply to
cynic

Just got one of these myself but not had a chance yet to strip it down. Manual, parts and help available from:

George.

Reply to
John Weale

Can you use plasticine or blu-tac to make an impression, and then use callipers to measure and compare with known sizes?

Reply to
Fredxx

Difficult as it is deep down a hole in the casting. I was hoping someone in the group would have one of these machines and the appropriate tools and experience so as to give a simple answer. I suspect the actual tool is going to be a good old fashioned box spanner. If the nut was accessible I could make one using some steel tube and forge it round the nut [but it aint:-( ] I'm off for a trawl round the car boot sales tomorrow.

Reply to
cynic