All these damn rules controlling every aspect of life!

wrote:

Lord Hall, you made that up.

Some kind of rectangular frame fitted in front of the teeth. Must be a fashion accessory.
andy hall wrote:

Wallace & Grommet?

Which ones?
--
David

Bertie, Cherie Blair (nee Booth) is the daughter of Anthony Both the actor, of Till Death Us Do Part, the Scarce Git. He ancestor was Wilkes-Booth from Liverpool, who assassinated Abe Lincoln.
So the British Prime Minister is indirectly related to the murderer of an American president.

Very scarce. Like your brain cells.
--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

flatulence wrote in message wrote:

Richard, you didn't understand did you. Sad to see such senility.

So history is repeating itself......

Very indirect indeed, as Anthony Booth is not a direct descendant of John Wilkes Booth. John would be Cheries great-great-great-grand uncle. So he can't have been an ancestor of the "Scouse Git".
Though what that has to do with the greedy conniving cows lips (either oral or piss-related) I don't know.
Cheers Clive

Fourth cousin thrice removed. It's actually quite close. Interesting snippet. How verified is all this?

an
John
snippet.
He is making it all up.

Actually, and unlike yourself, I'm not.
John Wilkes Booth's father was Junius Brutus Booth. Junius had a brother called Algernon Sidney Booth. Algernon's grandson Sidney Booth was jailed as a pacifist during WW1. Sidney's grandson was Anthony George Booth, better known as Tony and father of Cherie Booth.
Somewhere I have the names of Anthony's father and Sidney's father, but not to hand. My understanding is that this has been verified by a number of authorities, though I haven't seen the various physical records myself (obviously).
Cheers Clive

Easy enough to search the public records on the web. The names are sufficiently distinctive.

whoosh...
--
David

Matt, you made that up.

That leads to reduced inspections on farms and abbattoirs; guess what happens?
If you're thinking of gas, electricity and building - I'd probably agree; but it's better than not being able to afford to get someone else to do the work - or even DIY - because your mortgage payments have just doubled. I'll stick with the present lot, thanks - and tell them to think again on the bits that inconvenience me.

Since I grew up without all the "essential" inspectors and controls and survived I just don't believe they are needed now! We didn't have livestock being crammed into sheds under government led inspected conditions. We did have food wrapped in plain paper at point of sale. We did have healthy immunity to various bacteria. Need I go on?

Your chances of this control freak led lot even thinking of listening are somewhere below the chances of a snowball surviving in hell. I think Blair is a liar and his deputy a buffoon. At least he is now down one crony for a while.

Can you prove a lie please. You can always have Thatcher and mass poverty and destitution again.

intrusion
happens?
What? Have you seen the state of the crap the developers turn out? I would incraese it in building
And they are. By April 2006 all trades are to have a Corgi type of competence. Corgi is working with the government on the plumbing trade.

the work -

that
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The main reason our current buildings are so poor is overregulation, for 2 reasons.
1. The excessive regulation has driven prices to many times the free market price, so we cant afford decent. Expalined more further down.
2.. All the creative ideas I came up with: nope, not permitted. Sometimes for fair reason, but in most cases not at all. Too often the regs are leading clearly and drectly to lower quality stock.
Look at our building history before planning. We have a wealth of creative innovative quality buildings from then: but not today. Just about all of our very finest buildings would be illegal to build today! Look at Ben Law's house, a lovely piece, yet it took a vast effort just to get permission to build it. AND it has to be pulled down when he dies. What a farce.
In the 1800s, with nearly zero regulation, anything went, and everything was built. The free market addressed quality issues as usual. Generally the good stuff survives, and the bad is almost entirely erased. The result was the country gradually built up an increasing stock of quality builds.
Realise that today we have way more resources than 100-150 years ago, yet are living in houses of similar quality. Instead of affording much better, we afford the same because the cost has risen excessively.
Today with more resources, more information, and the existence of voluntary quality schemes, the mistakes of the 1800s are simple and easy to avoid. The same process could be done today without the sort of errors made then - not that they were in reality especially problematic.
But today one mostly can not innovate, and one mostly can not afford luxurious touches because the costs of even basic buildings are pushed astronomically high by anal planning laws, illogical building regs, and silliness from start to finish.
Yes there are good reasons for build regs, but they fail in so many ways as to end up being counterproductive. In numerous cases cutting one very trivial corner can bring a gain of far more value than the loss of value entailed. I dont mean occasionally, old houses especially are like this. Time after time improvement work would be seriously beneficial, yet can not be implemented because some completely trivial point doesnt meet current OTT practice.
Not always, no, but our build regs have gone so far that this sort of problem is an every day occurrence, with stupid decisions resulting again and again. Build regs once seemed a good thing, wiping out some poor practices. (This could be done today just as well with todays easy access to information.) But they seem to have forgotten their purpose, and now be leading us by the nose, making building today very much more costly, causing problems routinely, and preventing most competent diyers from constructing their own houses, a process which in itself is not especially difficult.
Build regs fail to take this weighing up, or putting into perspective, into account in any way, stopping serious improvements over trivial non-issues. Theyre fair enough as a quality benchmark for new builds, a standard that may be met when chosen, but not fine as a requirement for new houses, where they can escalate costs unnecessarily, and prevent self build, and they are hopelessly inappropriate when applied to improvements of older houses. For example it is common to find one would have to demolish an existing 70s/80s 1 storey bathroom extension to add an extra room on top, because the rules on foundations require deeper. Even though the existnig extension migth have foundations measured in feet, while the whole road full of original houses, all in good condition, have only 13" foundations. BRs just dont make good sense far too often.
Dont even get me started on the requirement for sockets high up even on 3rd floor flats, paper pushing just to replace your hot water tank, the requirement to draughtproof then add ventilation, the requirement for DPCs based on dodgy science, the requirement for deep foundations instead of lime mortar, the upcoming requirement to air pressure test houses, ad nauseam.
In a free market there would be competing standards companies, each with its own set of requirements and inspectors, and buyers could choose what they wanted, or specify for themselves if they wish. With todays level of comms technology this is easy to do. There would also be much less restricitve planning, the end result of these being that first time buyers would see prices nosedive, and those with more in the bank would be able to afford some very nice houses, instead of another small airtight box.
We're now unhappy about our legal right being taken away to do our own plumbing, for reasons that really make no sense, but rarely is it mentioned we've lost the basic human right to build (and improve) our own house. If we wound the clock back 100 years, most of us on this group would have done exactly that, built our house, just as we want it. How many of you would like to be able to extend, yet are prevented from doing so? How many would like to build a 2nd house on the property, but cant? How many here would rather have bought land and built for 6 months, at a fraction of the cost, than pay through the nose for 25 years for a restricted houses on restricted land?
Rip-off Britain is a term each of us earns by working 25 years just to buy a house. Even Africa has 8-10 year mortgages!
NT