All these damn rules controlling every aspect of life!

That leads to reduced inspections on farms and abbattoirs; guess what happens?

If you're thinking of gas, electricity and building - I'd probably agree; but it's better than not being able to afford to get someone else to do the work - or even DIY - because your mortgage payments have just doubled. I'll stick with the present lot, thanks - and tell them to think again on the bits that inconvenience me.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Since I grew up without all the "essential" inspectors and controls and survived I just don't believe they are needed now! We didn't have livestock being crammed into sheds under government led inspected conditions. We did have food wrapped in plain paper at point of sale. We did have healthy immunity to various bacteria. Need I go on?

Your chances of this control freak led lot even thinking of listening are somewhere below the chances of a snowball surviving in hell. I think Blair is a liar and his deputy a buffoon. At least he is now down one crony for a while.

Reply to
John

Nov 3, 9:00 am show options Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y From: ":::Jerry::::" - Find messages by this author Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:00:12 -0000 Local: Thurs, Nov 3 2005 9:00 am Subject: Re: All these damn rules controlling every aspect of life! Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

[ re current HMG ]

What, after yesterdays fiasco's?

FFS they can't even get their own MP's to support them!...

Of course, Maggie was fully supported by HER M.P.s, wasn't she? FFS, even that load of over privileged prats realised that she was as mad as a fish, and should be dumped ASAP!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

present

You really can't stand the truth, can you?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

We are were you're concerned...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

After you...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

well

murderous, and in

quartered before

Clueless! :~(

Do you really think that paying ten people to do one mans work was efficient, that was British industry BEFORE the '80's!

I'm not talking about her vindictive approach to some unions but her realisation that UK industry was un economic. Re reading the Labour Manifesto of '79 I suspect that Callaghan had come to the same conclusion and would have used oil revenue to re structure the countries industry, if only he had gone to the country in '78 - before the 'Winter of Discontent'...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That's why, of course, when Labour won, a certain Mr. Healy commented that "This time, we (Labour) are fortunate to inherit an economy that is in pretty good shape". If you cannot remember, as may well be the case, Dennis Healy was Chancellor of the Exchequer when Labour were in power in the 1970s.

Crimes? Laughable.

Anyway, uk.politics.misc went that ---> way.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

" A skills mismatch" "We are desperately short of building skills"

That's a good one.

Perhaps you could offer your services to John Guest to train plumbers on how to cut their pipe. Ask the rep next time he comes in.

Reply to
andy hall

Cherie working Tony's lever at the back to make his lips move.

Reply to
andy hall

Perhaps you could learn to post properly. Are you another DIY banterer?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Great idea! That old witch started the decline of our country - bring her back and let her finish it off? I think not.

Kill the witch! Kill the witch!

Reply to
Geoffrey

Huh? Isn't unemployment running at 25% ATM even with the massaged figures?

Reply to
Geoffrey

That's what you were told. You obviously believed it. It was a lie.

Because it was very badly managed. It was changed to be extremely badly managed.

Absolutely. But the 'Winter of Discontent' was almost 100% tabloid fiction. The mainly successful attempts by the Labour (with Liberal) government to reduce the 'through the roof' inflation of the previous Tory government had hit especially hard on the lower paid. Letting go after a period of restraint is always particularly difficult but the government were (mainly) managing it. The Liberals bailed out of the coalition in order to reduce the political cost at the next election of being in government and the tabloids scented blood. Thatcher solved the very tricky and delicate problem of possible re-inflation by destroying industry and letting unemployment rip to way over 4 million after being elected on a 'reduce unemployment' ticket.

Getting back to something close to uk.d.i.y. I worked at finding jobs for people in the building industry during the 70s and managed a close-on 100% success rate to get joiners, brickies, plasterers, H&V Engineers, &c in work at the end of a six-moth training course. Employment prospects never got back to that in the 80s and 90s - and house prices didn't go down because that 'over-employment' had disappeared.

Reply to
John Cartmell

The statistics are masked in an exercise that would've won a Big Brother prize in Orwell's Ministry of Truth. Unemployed morphed into 'on Receipt of Benefit' which morphed after 'benefit' stops being paid .... into 'Economically Inactive".

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Although you're correct constitutionally ... the Speaker is _expected_ to vote for the Government the member for Sheffield Brightside(?) could have been expected to point out that the rules (Erskine) only say _should_ .... ! Glasgow Mick might have muttered something which the Hansard Writer might've rendered in English as 'I diina ken what to do .... I diina want to do anything wrong!" Seriously; the Fettes/Oxford educated Scot might have been faced with electoral disaster when the English realised that Habeas Corpus and the right to be brought before a magistrate had been suborned by a claques of Scots!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Isn't there a film called '(the) Blair Witch' or some such title?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

And now industry pays one man to do the work of 5 people (if it can't get some poverty stricken third world worker to do it for less).

Vive la capitalism!

Reply to
Geoffrey

I do know of Dennis and have met him. Great fellow even if I did disagree with some of his politics. He was comparing the economic cycle of 1997 with that in 1974 and 1964 (and possibly 1945). In every case other than 1997 when the Labour Government opened the books the whole thing was in an absolute shambles. In 1997 we were recovering from a shambles and the depth of that shambles was already appreciated by the electorate. The 'only' problem was to keep it going steady (something that no-one had ever managed before). Eight years beats all records ...

No. People giving up their homes because their mortgage payments doubled overnight is not a laughing matter. People being thrown out of work because the gvernment is too stupid to reduce inflation any other way is not a laughing matter. People having their faces burnt off because Thatcher was too penny-pinching to keep a UK presence in the South Atlantic is not a laughing matter. People committing suicide because their business and home were lost through no fault of their own - but clearly the direct result of government policy designed to make the rich richer at the cost of others - is not a laughing matter.

And bastards like you voted for her because you couldn't think for yourself - or where you one of those with enough spare capital to grow rich at the expense of everyone else?

You laughed. Don't do that and not expect an off-topic but on-reality reply.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Agreed

Some would doubt she was *ever* sane.

But its not going to be long before Maggie joins Adolf and his chums in hell. The evil twisted bitch won't be missed at all but it's a great pity she couldn't be struck down by a suitable illness and hang on in great pain for a few more years at least.

The queue to dance on her grave will be at least be a mile long.

Reply to
Matt