All new gas appliances to be banned in UK.

Well shit-fer-brains, the reason is smaller power stations is needed to deliver that power. Ti's about peak loads.

Reply to
harry

Gas is far less efficient if compared with a heat pump. Which is the alternative technology being proposed.

Reply to
harry

It can be more. Depends on if you're looking at net or gross calorific values.

Reply to
harry

It makes perfect sense if you understand the technology. Which clearly,you don't.

Reply to
harry

Hydrogen is total bollix. Expensive, inefficient and dangerous. It will never happen.

Reply to
harry

Should being the operative word.

More lies by a racist Brexit traitor.

If you feel strongly about it, onstead of posting brain dead Mail fiction, why not contact an MEP such as Farage who is well known for speaking up on UK citizens interests.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Your drivel about the vacuum is a downright lie. I have a new vacuum and it will "stick" to the floor easily.

I have seen nothing from the EU regarding kettles, only the English gutter press, what is your source?

You are totally wrong on energy useage incidentally, as a few seconds thought would reveal. Like most of the lies about the EU though a few seconds thought isn't really a tool in the armoury of the Brexit morons.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

WEell a modern mains perssure tank lose very little heat and since you are already all electric with heating it loses it inside te house where its need 9 minths of the year.

And its way better than a combi in terms of hot water delivery,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah we have a thinker :-)

Someone that probably didn't fall for the bent banana ploy either.

There is another factor that comes into play and makes the sums a trifle more difficult, thats the I^2R losses in the supply. As Ohms Law would take most of the EU critics into uncharted waters, a bit of calculus would be on another plane completely :-)

Anyway as one of the posessors of the NG's brain cells are you aware of a European directive on kettle power?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

But at a cost. Both in capital and efficiency terms

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, our CCGTS ONCE WARMED UP are in the high 60s low 60s.

Only OCGT is below 40%.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

you WILL get more radiation losses...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Because there is nothing an MEP can do about it. Specially one that only has 5 weeks as an MEP to go.

Reply to
2987fr

But not enough to matter. But its far from clear that half power kettles are worth it.

Reply to
2987fr

Probably not worth it. But convenient and accurate filling/dispensing for just what's used, an insulating shell, and variable temperature may well be worth considering.

The kettle is well within the top 5 consumers of household electricity and is the one appliance that virtually every household has and uses. Many little gains that are cheap and easy to adopt add up.

Reply to
RJH

There are probably many reasons that coal is bad and other forms of energy are better. I don't dispute that.

But the problem comes when you close the coal stations *before* having sufficient replacement in place, leaving the country running very short of energy at times.

I do wonder whether it is better to burn gas in people's houses to heat them directly, as opposed to burning it centrally in a power station and then using the electricity to heat the houses. All energy conversion tends to produce heat as a waste by-product. Given that fact, it is better that this heat is produced where it is needed, rather than in a power station where it has to be got rid of with cooling towers or other heat exchangers.

Reply to
NY

But more people will be using their underpowered kettles at any given instant, so the same power stations required.

Reply to
Andy Burns

... and you can heat it overnight on cheap rate electrity. BTW our 220l vented tank has a heat loss of 78W (delta T not specified). and as you say that goes towards heating the house anyway.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I agree with you. which is why we wrote them off as a viable heat source. - yes the COP can drop below 2.5 in cold weather - just when you don't want it to!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

On 22/02/2019 08:41, RJH wrote: <snip>>

I agree about variable temperature, although the working group in the previous EU programme were rather cack-handed in handling the fact that most things don't need water at 100 degrees but "some tea drinkers insist on" boiling water.

Reply to
Robin