Aldi wine

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert

No doubt, but on the whole, the sub fiver wines I've tasted tend to appeal less to my palate than those that cost a bit over a fiver

I'm quite open to being proved wrong

Reply to
geoff

You mean the street-corner experts?

Reply to
Adam Funk

So back to my original point.....are Aldi taking a hit on this or are the other supermarkets taking the piss? Oh, and I did compare the Aldi £2.99 to a £6.99 wine her indoors bought, and I would rate them equal. I'd be quite happy glugging either for a couple of hours.

Reply to
stuart noble

stuart noble wrote: [snip]

You can only tell that by comparing like for like and Lidl and Aldi tend to sell brands no one has heard of, hence almost impossible to compare.

Budgens supermarket sells the same wines available in Tesco and Asda among there range. An interesting observation is that they sell Hardys "Crest" range which are pretty good. The price in Budgens is £5-6 a bottle. In Tesco it is £11-12. So there's one answer to your question Tesco can be seen to overcharge for some items.

Yeah, you do realise that price is not the sole factor that determines the quality of a bottle if wine? Although in general a good wine costs more than a poor one.

Reply to
Steve Firth

fact is I'm not prepared to spend £6 on a bottle of wine. I'll stop drinking if it costs that much.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks for the suggestion, just quaffing a glass of that just now and it is as you say, worth 4 or 5 quid so fine at 3.59 (current price), trouble is it is the only decent stuff I've tried from there in ages, way too many frogs to kiss before finally reaching the prince.

Would probably be punted by Morrisons for 5.99 as a bargain, reduced from 9.98 but of course no real person would pay that for it so it is one of their famous pseudo-bargain lies.

I rarely bother with the Asda 3 for £10 offerings, again too many frogs but wander along the shelves a bit and you will see some decent offerings at 4 quid or so which I buy in moderate quantity to see me through to the next decent offering. Pay just a little more there and it improves markedly.

Sains do the odd decent 4 for £12 offering but mainly want you to spend

5.99 or over to get anything decent.
Reply to
fred