Aldi wine

There are at least 3 bands of tax on beer, one for below 2.%8 ABV, one for 2.8+ to 7.5% ABV and one for higher than 7.5% ABV.

The price you pay often has very little to do with taxation. A 2.8% beer may cost the same as a 6% beer in many pubs.

Possibly the reason for poor sales of low alcohol beer is that many have been dumbed down to remove any flavour.

Reply to
alan

What alcohol percentage?

Reply to
Reentrant

12%
Reply to
stuart noble

Friend's elderberry one was very nice.

Reply to
Clive George

Although I tried many times, the only success I had was elderberry. A long time ago, but I did think it rather nice.

Reply to
polygonum

In message , stuart noble writes

Are you putting it on your fish and chips or what?

While I might be missing out, I gave up buying cheap wine some years ago

- I prefer pleasant experiences to unpleasant ones

Reply to
geoff

Are you sure?

ISTR that import duty for commercial means was alc% dependent

Reply to
geoff

When living in Indonesia, I made 20l of tropical fruity wine in a potable water bottle

When it had finished fermenting, I capped the top off ... except it hadn't - I thought a bomb had gone off when it exploded at 4am

Isn't it great to have servants when you need them ?

Reply to
geoff

Thanks for that - I'll alert SWMBO.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We have a bloke at work who is a wine buff and he spends time sampling various supermarket plonks and providing the rest of us with tasting notes. Occasionally we break organisation rules and have a Friday lunch with half a glass of one of his recommended wines. They have all been astonishingly good.

His view on Aldi wines at the moment is that there is only one worth drinking, a Rioja Reserva 2006 for £6.99. He says it is very good and I trust his judgement. He was "a bit scathing" about any of the sub £4 wines on offer saying that he's tried most of them and they have all either gone down the sink or have been used for cooking.

Reply to
Steve Firth

[big snip]

Oh yes the bit I forgot, there is no Montepulciano in Montepulciano Nobile. MN is made using Sangiovese grapes.

SWTSMBO may find this of interest:

note in the final paragraph explains the practice of selecting the best grapes to make wine then selling the dross to a cantina to be made into vinegar. That is then bottled in another region and sold to unsuspecting British customers.

Also see:

mentioned there, but available via Cadman Fine Wines linked from that page is Nicodemi "Notari". This and Neromorro are fabulous examples of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What utter rubbish!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Elderberry with a few blackberries thrown in. Very nice, if I say so myself. Still have a 20yr old bottle somewhere. one day I'll find the courage to open it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'd like to see how you get on in a double blind tasting of a representative sample of wines.

Possibly the worst wine I have ever tasted, during a xompany "team building" wine tasting jolly, turned out to be the most expensive. Well over =A320/bottle but I forget the exact figure.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Roman soldiers used to drink diluted vinegar - so my partaking has a long history - even to those from Italy. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

You recall correctly - for most beers the rate is (according to HMRC websit= e) the duty on 1 hectolitre (for some reason the hectolitre is often used w= hen talking about drinks!) is GBP19.51 multiplied by the percentage alcohol= . (the rate increases for beer above 7.5%, and reduces for below 2.8%). Spi= rits are taxed similarly, though the rates are different. Cider, on the other hand, is taxed at a flat rate, which only depends which= alcohol band it falls into, in the same way as wine. The rate for cider up= to 7.5% is about equivalent to the rate for a beer of 2%, which presumably= explains why it's the drink of choice for a certain sector of the populati= on...

Reply to
docholliday93

My palette just isn't refined enough for all that stuff, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

Reply to
stuart noble

I used to drink thunderbird wine at =A31.99 a bottle, not sure I could do t= hat now ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

The several I recommended don't need a refined palette to appreciate the difference between them and cheap acidic plonk.

The nice thing for me is that one of the winemakers is a friend and neighbour. When I visit him he slaps a jug of his best on the table and points out I can drink it for free from the jug or pay a wine merchant EUR

70 for a bottle.
Reply to
Steve Firth

At one time all the leading UK wine "experts" used to recommend it.

Reply to
alan