Aldi LED lamps

ledhut.co.uk have some good ones - I've been trying a few and have been very impressed.

Quidco cashback available, and often a 25% code around (there is today for example). Next day delivery with DPD (so it actually arrives) is only 2.99 as well which seems perfectly fair.

If you get the discounts and order at the right time, they are becoming quite cost effective now. I've been impressed at the quality (both of the lamp, and the light :-) ) so far... Can't comment on the life though yet :)

They do offer a 5 yr warranty although you have to post them back a form for that IIRC.

No connection beyond being a happy customer

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Here's the latest from Cree:

a staggering 303Lm per watt efficacy. That's remarkably close to what Philips referred to as a theoretical maximum of 390Lm/W for a lamp with a CRI >80 with sufficient red content (the 683Lm/W maximum is in relation to a single pure green light of 555nm wavelength).

Now all we have to do is sit tight until all the rubbish stock has been cleared out of the distribution channel and the current lab developments to be worked up into a marketable product. Cree are suggesting a development to market timetable of 18 to 24 months.

Assuming a properly implemented lamp design, even a mere 200Lm/W lamp would be worth considering (twice as good as a fluorescent tube) as long as they cost no more than the 4 or 5 CFLs required to last the

50,000 hour life rating of the replacement LED lamp.

If the lamp manufacturers offer warranty periods to match the lamp life claims (3 to 6 years), they'll expand the pool of 'early adopters' prepared to accept a premium pricing of the product which will speed up the process of ramping up to mass volume production levels and an ensuing fall in pricing.

The CFL could well become a museum curiousity by the end of the decade given the surprisingly rapid development in LED technology over the past 8 years.

Reply to
Johny B Good

True enough at the moment but it looks very much as though that's about to change sometime in the next two to three years.

Reply to
Johny B Good

There are already LED units with better efficacy although worse CRI I don't know what the price in bulk or availability is like. There are some in use at the Wetherby service station seating area on the A1.

(not a recommendation - no experience of these units)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Very. I can't see any variation in the illumination cast on the ceiling.

Reply to
jfflkjflkjflkdfj

I got a couple of them last time around and another one a few weeks ago. Pretty damn good, and the latest lot included dimmables.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

For laughs I've replaced three 11W CFL bulbs in the same light fitting, with 6W LED golf ball - purchased from ASDA, they are currently selling three for £15. Light output is a more pleasing white rather than yellow

- also the round bulb suits the shades rather better than the CFL sticks.

6 Watt LED GLS BC Bulb - £8 each, deal 3 for £15.

Note these bulbs are 39W incandescent equivalents (420 lumens) they won't light up a whole room by themselves. But three is ample.

Once upon a time for me that light fitting drew 120W of power daily from

18:00 to midnight. Now it's down to 18W. :)
Reply to
Adrian C

Ditto that. The BC fitting go fast and there are always a few ES left by the time I get there, often reduced to clear.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 12:27:22 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

eye was a ES rated at 1050lm, staing 75W equivalent. Also a BC 850lm. Plent y of dimmer ones too. These are the first usefully bright ones I've found. Will try them out later and report back.

I now have to report that one of the lamps has failed entirely. So that's j ust 16 months of life, maybe 2 hours a day = 1000 hours. Boo.

It was fitted in an upright position in a standard lamp, socket downwards, which I understand is the best way to keep the lamp cool. There was plenty of clearance above too.

Reply to
jfflkjflkjflkdfj

Have you got the receipt? May have the usual 3 year money back warranty.

Doesn't surprise me, though. My limited experience of mains LEDs say they don't have a good life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not surprising really, as they spend a lot of their time hanging around in the dark.

michael adams

michael adams

Had a 350 lm 4.8W Aldi fail the other evening but this one is on 24/7 and the quoted life of 20,000 hrs is about 2 years 3 months. I'm not sure when it went into service, for some reason I didn't write the in service date on it.

This bulb was in an enclosed ceiling fitting and currently the overnight voltage is around 255, better than the 258+ it got to the first night after they started line work and rerouted the 33 kV feed to the local substation. We did drop below 253 (the upper limit) for a few night but it's gone back up again.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe your dark is thicker than the normal so they can't suck in as much?

Reply to
dennis

You may remember one of mine failed entirely, I got a refund, another flickered a couple of times the other evening, it may have been mains disturbance as it was dark/thundery weather nearby ... but I'm keeping an eye on it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. I bought a few 1000 lumen (~75 W equiv) from Ryness about 6 months ago - one failed last month after at most 150 hours. They replaced it, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

Reply to
Clive Page

That's why we have two set of curtains on most windows, to keep the truely dark dark out. Lights just can't hack the truely dark and just glimmer against it.

When it's truely dark up here it's unnerving, "have I gone blind"?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

dennis@home wrote in news:55c244f9$0$57889$b1db1813$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

This is why lights run on AC. If they were on DC and you fitted the lamp with the polarity reversed they would make the room very dark.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Noticed today that Tesco have some 1521 lumen 13W (100W equivalent) LEDs in ... not dimmable though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The flickery one has now also failed completely, I don't have a receipt for it, but have emailed aldi to see what their policy is, seems to me the 13W ones are flaky.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My second one managed more than that, lets say 18 months at 6 hours/day,

3000+ hours, nothing like the 25,000 headline figure on the packaging.

I contacted ALDI by email, their response was 12 month warranty, tough.

I didn't want to faff about convincing them to refund/replace, so I took it apart, hoping I might find an obviously failed capacitor in an easily accessible location, no such luck.

Fairly normal layout, all potted in soft silicone, input resistors to mains rectifier to bead-type smoothing caps, then there was a wirewound resistor feeding into the ICs/transistor chopper section, feeding small transformer and output smoothing caps.

The wirewound resistor was burnt to a crisp (the lamp didn't fail spectacularly just flickered then faded away) all the surrounding SMDs looked like their solder was cooked and discoloured, one surface resistor had melted away from the PCB, so looks like long term overheating.

Seems like the guts of the 13W are pushed too hard.

Indeed, sod lidaldi for LEDs in future, the LEDhut ones of similar age (fewer hours and lower wattage) are still going OK, but I'll try some with a multi-year warranty, what were those recommended by Adam, "Integral" ?

Reply to
Andy Burns