Alarm question - PIRs, window contacts or optical boundary?

Insensitive then to a crim in a donkey jacket and hood.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Recentl;y I was in a "gents" which used a PIR to turn on the lighting - fine, but it only sensed you standing up. When I sat down, the light went out!!

Reply to
charles

I think it is more that the bat explores all the available space in the room looking for a way out. If they ever end up on the floor then they can find it impossible to climb up again on painted skirting boards.

In the wild they would climb the nearest rough piece of wood.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You can beat a PIR detector but that isn't the way.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I can believe it. I imagine they work by reducing sensitivity at ground level, but it just needs the cat to jump up on something (or a bat to fly in front of the PIR) ...

Reply to
Huge

I'd forgotten about enamelled wire - thanks!

Reply to
nomail

Honeywell seem to think it is:

... selectable up to 36kg. Another manufacturer says 30kg.

Reply to
nomail

They're wrong.

Reply to
Huge

"Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?", to quote a Monty Python sketch ;-) Thanks for your opinion, but I'm happy to assume that Honeywell and other manufacturers know their products and would not make claims that could be easily demonstrated to be false, if they were.

Reply to
nomail

They're trying to sell you something. And I'll take personal experience over someone trying to sell me something every single time.

Reply to
Huge

now that's amusing

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

now that's amusing

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Many years ago in a previous house, I woke up in the middle of the night. Not sure what woke me, but there was enough residual light in the room for me to make out several things dive-bombing me in bed. Turned the light on, and they were bats, repeatedly swooping down in the middle of the room as they flew between opposite corners of the room, trying but failing to find something they could grab hold of in the corners near ceiling level. I was thinking if I sit up, I'm going to get hit, but then I thought they have good echo location for that, and sure enough they went around me.

Wasn't much I could do to catch them, but they eventaully ran out of energy and dropped to the floor. Hadn't occured to me they can't take off from the floor, but I lifted the outside at that point and put them in a tree.

They had come in where some large holes were left in the ceiling through to the loft the previous day. I fixed up the holes next day. I was often in that loft and it was all nice and clean with new insulation, and I never saw any sign of them in the loft, but presumably they were there somewhere.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Eh? If you're talking reed switches you'd need a pretty terrible fitting window before wind would break the circuit. And if things like that are flapping around in the wind, a PIR might well trigger too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How naive.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Course I'm not talking about simple reed switches. I'm talking about break glass detectors.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have been known to give up when I am on my own and sleep with a bat wizzing round the room. My wife insists I evict them. They eventually settle on curtains, but the young ones are a bit dim and can get trapped on the floor against skirting boards. Bat conservation taught me how to handle them properly since they got fed up with call outs in peak season. Ours is a summer roost near open fields.

Doesn't nee much of a hole they can get through cracks in mortar fairly easily. I have a bunch or old roasting tins under their roost in the loft to catch their dry droppings which makes good fertiliser.

There will be a small pile somewhere in your loft but nothing to worry about. I favour live and let live - they eat mosquitoes after all.

Reply to
Martin Brown
[18 lines snipped]

Last winter, my wife was watching TV in the sitting room and I was in the study, when she came and told me we had a bat in the sitting room. I suspect it was hibernating in the roof structure somewhere (we have a barn conversion with vaulted ceilings and pantiles), had been awoken by the warmth from the wood-burner and found it's way through the waterproof membrane and insulation into the room.

We opened the French windows and it left.

Reply to
Huge

Ah - I'd not call that a window contact.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They don't. Except perhaps the terminals if kept soaking wet. The switches themselves are hermetically sealed.

I hate seeing such things.

So here, with sash windows, I drilled a hole in the sill to take the switch part and a corresponding one in the window rail for the magnet. Cable chased into the wall as and when the rooms were re-decorated. Same sort of trick worked for the modern sliding PVC patio doors in the kitchen.

But this house has suspended wood floors and internal stud walls so relatively easy to hide cables. A modern house with solid everything would be a different matter.

Didn't bother with the top sash as I doubt many burglars would want to crawl over the bottom one to get in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)