Alarm question - PIRs, window contacts or optical boundary?

wrote:

It is actually tho it wont register the baby on the floor either.

Recentl;y I was in a "gents" which used a PIR to turn on the lighting - fine, but it only sensed you standing up. When I sat down, the light went out!!
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I can believe it. I imagine they work by reducing sensitivity at ground level, but it just needs the cat to jump up on something (or a bat to fly in front of the PIR) ...
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 52nd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 28/09/2017 04:06, Bill Wright wrote:

Honeywell seem to think it is: https://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/products/intruder/sensors/intellisense/868366.html ... selectable up to 36kg. Another manufacturer says 30kg.

They're wrong.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 52nd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 28/09/2017 12:01, Huge wrote:

"Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?", to quote a Monty Python sketch ;-) Thanks for your opinion, but I'm happy to assume that Honeywell and other manufacturers know their products and would not make claims that could be easily demonstrated to be false, if they were.

They're trying to sell you something. And I'll take personal experience over someone trying to sell me something every single time.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 52nd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Thursday, 28 September 2017 16:26:02 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

now that's amusing
NT

Not with a claim that’s so trivial to prove as that one.
If their PIRs cant distinguish between pets and humans of more than crawling baby size, there would be hordes sayin that on amazon alone, and there arent.
QED, their PIRs will do what they say.
On Thursday, 28 September 2017 22:01:28 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

ty

Promotional claims usually feature a list of conditions, which often don't fit typical use, often use weasel words and phrases like 'upto' or 'in test s' which the mfr designed specifically to avoid the issues etc. Fools take such claims at face value.
Re PIRs specifically, it's not possible to design a PIR detector that won't detect a bat landing on it. Yes you can tell the difference between a cat and a human at say 5 yards, but when the human is 15 yards away and the cat 1 yard, it can't. It's basic physics.
NT

Yes, and those often say that you can dial up the weight of the animal above which it will register the detection of.

These clearly do.

Nothing weasel about that in this case.

And those who get one of those animal insensitive PIRs which allow you to specify the weight of the animal, who find that the description turns out to be a lie and who have bought one on amazon are free to say it’s a lie and will do.

BULLSHIT.

Even sillier than you usually manage with the dual mode PIRs.
On Friday, 29 September 2017 04:12:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

with respect I was discussing PIRs not dual technology detectors

The Honeywell PIRs being discussed that allow you to dial in the weight of the pet that they will ignore are in fact dual technology detectors.

How naive.
Bill
On Thursday, 28 September 2017 16:26:02 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

now that's amusing
NT
On 27/09/2017 16:59, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Window frames are terrible for condensation. It gets into connections.

If these people close an internal door it can set off a window contact.
Bill

They don't. Except perhaps the terminals if kept soaking wet. The switches themselves are hermetically sealed.
I hate seeing such things.
So here, with sash windows, I drilled a hole in the sill to take the switch part and a corresponding one in the window rail for the magnet. Cable chased into the wall as and when the rooms were re-decorated. Same sort of trick worked for the modern sliding PVC patio doors in the kitchen.
But this house has suspended wood floors and internal stud walls so relatively easy to hide cables. A modern house with solid everything would be a different matter.
Didn't bother with the top sash as I doubt many burglars would want to crawl over the bottom one to get in.
--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

We don’t do that with the neighbours alarms. We still turn out do check if it’s a false alarm or not, but its only me that does that at 2am etc.

Eh? If you're talking reed switches you'd need a pretty terrible fitting window before wind would break the circuit. And if things like that are flapping around in the wind, a PIR might well trigger too.
--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Course I'm not talking about simple reed switches. I'm talking about break glass detectors.
Bill