Air Intake to basement

I am trying to get some air into a basement kitchen and have just been told of a system, described as 'like a soil pipe leading into the basement from the outside with an intake fan on the inside end'

Does anyone know what this geezer was talking about?

xav

Reply to
xaftor

More or less.

What you more likely want is an intake pipe that exits more than a meter above ground level, and an extractor fitted to an exhaust pipe that does similar.

Pump the crap out, not the fresh in, is generally the rule.

You can get flexible or straight pipe (soli pipe) and 4-6" diameter is about right. 6 better than 4 IMHO if thats all the ventilation you will have.

Just make up your vents and fit with grilles to keep out animals, and make sure rain can't blow in (an inverse U bend works well) or condensation drip down. That is insulate to the top of a U bend so condensation runs down to the outside...

You need sonme hefty airflow pumps to do a proper job over long duct lengths. Spend the money on a good one. The other sort from axial...centrifugal?

If you can mount intake and exhaust a long way away, chances are you will get airflow in any breeze as well without using the pump.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too, perhaps not with quite such sophistication! However, this chap says it was a manufactured item and the fan at the intake end was quite a hefty beast.

If all else fails, I think we'll have to concoct something - shud be fun!

Cheers

xav

Reply to
xaftor