air in ch system

I've posted on this before, but with no luck - so here goes again.

I have a standard indirect hot water tank fed from 2 tanks in the roof. The pipework is a neatly-done H-venting system, the boiler a Potterton gas fired.

Every morning the damned heating wakes the house with tremendous air rushes around the pump. I've bled radiators, had the system professionally flushed and serviced - but still the air circulates. The vent pipe isn't blocked, but is obviously spattering warm water back into the header tank.

The plumber who serviced the system said the only thing he could think of was that the vent pipe wasn't long enough ie that the header tank should be raised onto brackets on the gable end. He offered to do this for £200 (!) but said he would give no guarantee that it would work.

Does anybody have any comments/suggestions? It's driving me mad!

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You haven't mentioned the obvious - turn down the pump.

Have you tried it?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Yes, I have. Up full to try and force out the air, down to lowest, both for several days. No effect. I should also have mentioned there are no leaks...

Reply to
Pete

Had the same problem since I converted my old gravity/HW pumped/CH to a sealed fully pumped system. I could never remove all the air from the HW side even though I have an automatic vent at the highest point of that circuit. Anyway, yesterday I fitted a"Aerjec" de-aerator between the boiler and the pump, modified by blanking off what would be the "cold-feed"and fitting an auto-vent to the "vent". Worked a treat and the noises have gone.

Rgds Alec

Reply to
Alec

Thanks for this - I'll definitely look intoi it.

Reply to
Pete

"Alec" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Could you tell me more - I've googled and can only find one diagram, which includes "cold feet".

Looks like the sort of thing that could well be installed by default,

mike

Reply to
mike ring