Agents fees

We have our house up for sale with a local agent however we have been offered the asking price by a neighbour! Can we withdraw from the agent without paying a fee we were sole agency

Reply to
Denzil pc

You are going to have to read the contract you signed, I suspect you have agreed to at least 6 months and if a sale goes through within 6 months of cancelling the agent from a buyer introduced by the agent you will owe the agent their fees. As to your neighbour did he make the offer before a sales board went up or the listing was put up on the internet. If not it could be argued that the agent even though not contacted could claim they have introduced the buyer. You are probably better posing your question on the many legal usenet sites.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

probably not. Read the contract

Reply to
charles

If the contract is only 6 - 8 weeks, then wait it out. Otherwise you would have to be able to prove that the potential buyer did not become aware of the dale through any action linked to the agent.

Reading the details in the contract you agreed to would be the place to start.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

The neighbour is no different to any other would be purchaser who comes along offers you the full price and suggests cutting out the agent.

Reply to
bert

Indeed. But that doesn't really answer the OP's question.

As others have said, the starting point should be the contract. That very probably defines "Introduced". And does so in broad terms so as to cover any buyer who became aware of the property from the agent's board, advertising etc. It also probably makes clear that they are entitled to commission if they introduced (as defined) the buyer even if the sales takes place [long] after after the contract is cancelled.

Reply to
Robin