aerial signal strength

What device to get the best reception from an externally mounted t.v aerial. I think its a Yagi type. Basically the position moved some time ago, due to high winds, but was never rectified because there was a signal from a different source, but now the external aerial is needed.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Not sure what you're actually asking here, but your best bet is to ask on uk.tech.digital-tv

David

Reply to
Lobster

Get it put back into the right postion to get good reception !! Do the job correctly.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

A ladder.

Skipping over all the technical stuff; the problem is up at the aerial, so that's where the answer is too.

Reply to
Ian White

The device you need is an engineer with analyser. You cannot get away with a misaligned aerial. If you amplify a poor quality signal, you will get MORE poor quality signal. No amplifier can find something that is not there, amplifiers are for overcoming losses.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

A cheap portable TV is as good as it gets.

That way you get to see not only signal strength, but ghosting as well. Adjust for best picture on all available channels.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Total bollocks as usual from the usual TV erection spammer.

Plug a TV in and wiggle the aerial until you get acceptable signals on all available channels.

I AM an engineer, and believe me, you can get bogged down in dials and scope traces far too much.

In the end its a quality picture you want, not some arbitrary reading on a meter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

You can get a good start by taking a map reading to the nearest transmitter

use that to get an initial aim. In my experience this is often enough.

While you're up there, check the connections in the aerial terminal box

- they're often rather narsty.

Reply to
Guy King

And look where your neighbours' are pointing; that's probably a better indicator.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Wollies do a 5 inch b/w portable TV for £9:99 ISTR.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Excuse me?

I would expect no better from someone of your standing. Always looking for a bodge rather than do it properly.

Bless!

AH, now I see... You don't have any measuring equipment and resent the fact. That's what comes from being a cheapskate.

Now please can the unwarranted abuse.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

My guess is that neither does the OP.

I have had many many years peering into scope traces and dials and needles..it has its place, but for something as utterly trivial as putting up an aerial its a complete waste of time.

The main lobe is sufficiently braid that accuracy to the last degree is not essential. What is FAR more relevant is usually aligning the first (or any suitable) major NULL with the direction of any strong multipath interference.

A field strength meter is of no use in that context. You need something that will display the relative strength of short time delayed signals.

The cheapest precision instrument that does that is a *television set*.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing Andy. Real professional engineers with 30 years plus experience know that expensive test equipment is useful, but its not the be all and end all of design or installation, and its often not the quickest approach to a problem.

You can spam away all you like selling your 'professional services' but I will continue to respond that a half a brain, a little time and a TV set is far more appropriate answer to the problem than your expensive services.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher