Aerial Connections (Bill Wright)

Thanks - I had come to the conclusion that 39 is from Sutton Coldfield. Thought their might be a delete option but there isn't so I will go for the unplugging technique.

I wonder if birds have pecked the coax???

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA2069FF3F7FB0johnplant90ntlworldc@81.171.92.236:

I have done a manual tune on the channels I should get from Waltham. No change - but it is tidier in my mind!

Are splitters the same - or should I buy a better one - with the F Connectors?

My coax is the type with foil and braid.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I also receive from Waltham and have had reception problems on one of my outlets over the last couple of weeks. I put the cause down to the recent high pressure. When I checked the outlet at athe weekend, when it was much cooler, it was OK again.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Some of the cheap Y shaped plastic splitters are dire, not fit for purpose.

some just contain resistors, and worse still some just have their three sockets connected directly with wire. A proper splitter should have a tiny ferrite transformer inside and have an insertion loss of about 3 dB

Reply to
Graham.

Can you point me to one that you would recommend please (e-bay?)

I have just realised that just touching the coax plug makes a difference. If I earth it(to the socket box screw head with a bit of wire) then the signal strength display shoots up.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

My digital meter is showing 10volts between the plug outer and earth. I suppose this is due to the chassis of the TV floating a a bit.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

One friend of mine swears that the only way he can get all the freeview stations is by tying a knot in the fly lead between the set and the wall plate. I have told him its his fly lead, but he prefers the knot....

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd not bother, I bet the sockets are not gold plated.

More likely the cable or a faulty aerial or as has been said already, the transmitter is not working correctly while its being worked on. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well - it doesn't always shoot up - but it usually improves.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The "digital cliff". It works perfectly until the error correction can't cope any longer, then it fails totally. DAB is similar, IME.

Reply to
John Williamson

It's an Antiference RX18W. A budget product.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

PS there's f*ck all inside that plastic thing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill Wright wrote in news:ksminp$6rv$5 @speranza.aioe.org:

Kitchen TV watchable if I keep a finger on the metal of the co-ax plug. What might this imply?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Possible, or lid not on the termination box on the aerial properly. Also things like fold or crease in the coax caused by sloppy installation etc can also have a negative effect on propagation.

A good quality inductive splitter is the thing to look for. One with F connectors usually give better screening from impulse noise.

Reply to
John Rumm

Labgear from CPC are usually pretty good as well IME.

Can you take your STB up to where the split is and see what results you get there? That would at least tell you a bit more about where you are encountering losses.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Please make my TV reception better" You need to give him the problem, not the diagnosis.

He will test the strength of the signals direct from the aerial then probably advise either new cables and a splitter or a masthead amplifier or some combination thereof.

If you're unlucky the plastic dipole will be full of water (very common problem) and the connections corroded. Then you'll need a new aerial fixing up there.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

John Rumm wrote in news:- snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Thanks _ I have ordered one.

TV seems okay today - I think yesterday must have been bad for weather. Lessons learned: Need a new aerial and downlead. Maximise signal - minimise losses.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In article , DerbyBorn scribeth thus

These are the Waltham channel number allocations..

and coverage

It would seem to me that your in a slightly marginal signal area. I expect with a decent aerial and feeder downlead, and that seems to be to me where a lot of this problem is somewhere, your reception should then be OK.

If you must divide the signal off to other outlets then a simple distribution amp would be a much better bet than signals Splitters of dubious type and origin.

If you are OK on ladders and have the confidence to do this is is a DIY project but if not then seek out a decent aerial rigger who will probably advise a new aerial and feeder cable thats if the mounting brackets are OK for re use..

I'd conclude with Bill Wright that it may well be water in the cable this can cause symptoms like that you are describing. It doesn't even have to be wet still, what does happen is that the braiding inside the cable corrodes and that can weaken the signal especially the higher frequency channels by quite some amount...

Reply to
tony sayer

Chances are you need at least one of those - possibly both. However you may need a masthead amp.

You are moving from the realm in which the "suck it and see" school of aerial wrangling works, into one where it *really* helps to have test equipment so that you can actually make decisions based on real information rather than guesswork (no matter how well educated).

Reply to
John Rumm