aerated concrete block load bearing

I've replaced a raised patio, The new patio overhangs the original base by 20 cm so it wouldn't be a good idea to stand right at the edge of it until I shore it up with something. Would aerated concrete blocks (and mortar) suffice?

I'm drawn to them because I assume they will be easy to cut?

Reply to
R D S

The 100mm "lite" 3.6kN blocks support 15 tonnes each

Reply to
Andy Burns

The 100mm "lite" 3.6kN blocks support 15 tonnes each (when laid the normal way).

Reply to
Andy Burns

The 100mm "lite" 3.6kN blocks support 15 tonnes each (when laid the normal way).

Reply to
Andy Burns

grrrr ... it got stuck sending and I thought I'd waited long enough to see if it arrived

Reply to
Andy Burns

:) :)

Thanks, should support me comfortably then!

Reply to
R D S

And yes, they are easy to cut - I did a fair number of them for my conservatory, with an old, worn out, circular saw blade; a few more with a hand-saw; and channelled for cabling and cut-out for back boxes, using an old router bit!

Reply to
Steve Walker

But are they frost proof ?. I doubt it.

Reply to
Andrew

Why? Why not use ordinary medium density ones, or (better) bricks? When you get a decent frost, your aerated blocks will turn to s-.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

But as for the underlying base that is what you need to be looking at. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

To be fair, the OP wanted a temporary support pending something more permanent.

Reply to
newshound

Fairly thick concrete laid about 20 yrs ago so should be fine.

Reply to
R D S