AEG washing machine hint

All,

Just a hint for anyone else who hits the same problem. I discovered a coin stuck in the out-take on my AEG washing machine yesterday. Having dismantled the out-take near the pump to remove it and reassembled, I test ran the machine - worked fine.

I then carefully shoved the machine back under the worktop, switched it on and - nothing, no lights or anything! I eventually got the door open manually (as per the booklet) and the light in the drum came on so it wasn't the fuse. I tried all I could but nothing worked and taking off the top, there were no obvious loose wires. Eventually I gave up and prepared myself for a call-out and bill!

But this morning, we had to give it "one last try", switched it on and voila - it's working. I can only assume that the microprocessor crashed or similar (but no idea why it would) and powering it down overnight allowed all voltages to drop to zero and it rebooted this morning. Of course if you read this NG and find me mopping the floor of water tomorrow, you'll know I was wrong ;-).

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D.Smith

Hmmph.... Last Friday night, about 11pm........

"I can't open the door of the washing machine!!!"

"Oh buggerit! Too late now. First thing tomorrow."

Sat Morning. Sure enough. Door won't unlatch. Went to move the w/m out.

"Hmm. A bit heavy. The damned thing is full of water."

Right near the back door, so let the outlet hose down onto the ground. About a bucketfull comes out, but it takes about 5 minutes before enough pressure is released to allow the door latch to open. Unload the machine temporarily. OK, it's either a dud programmer or pump.

Eyes raised skywards.

"I'd prefer the pump if you please."

Take the back off. Nothing obvious, so the pump is going to have to come out. Get the mole grips to clamp those nasty springy hose clips. Hang onto the inlet hose to the pump whilst clamping the nasty spring thing.

"That's funny. There's something inside the pipe?"

"Jeez! There's also water sloshing around in there."

"That could have been nasty."

Find an old developing tray. Slap it under there, pdq, and an old duster just in case. Release the pipe, let the water out, and out comes a 6" length of shaped wire. What the hell?.... Ping!

"Have you lost an underwire from a bra??"

"Yes thanks. I wondered where that went to."

"Well, I've found it, sticking into the pump."

Put it all back together. Hope the pump survived. Wind it round to 6, the rinse/spin cycle. Switch ON. Suddenly remember and grab the outlet hose back up off the ground and hold it over the sink, just in time. It works ok!

"OK. Washing machine is back online."

"That was quick, not much wrong with it then."

"Hmmph."

Reply to
Tony Williams

Been there. In pieces and a devil to get out.

This latest one was a fifty pence piece - small enough to get through the drum but not small enough to fall into the filter. It was the perfect size to act like a butterfly valve and occasionally "close" blocking the out-take. Had to remove the flexible connector from the drum to the out-take filter and "shake" to get it to drop out.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D.Smith

A common problem. South West Trains often have this difficulty with their electric units on the Waterloo line. I was on one not long ago and it got to a stage where it would begin stopping every few hundred metres - not abruptly but more like loss of power. The laptop power kept going off as well which was annoying. The station announcements started happening out of order.

In the end, the driver announced that he was going to have to stop and reboot the train. The lights went out, the air conditioning went off and then all came back on again. I did have visions of him sitting in his cab pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE on his controls.

It did continue working OK for the next 20km or so to Waterloo however.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

I wonder how long it'll be before a Windows crash leads to a train crash.

Reply to
Guy King

You would be surprised (perhaps you wouldn't) at how often one sees the plasma screen above an airport baggage carousel with a Blue Screen of Death instead of where the bags from Madrid are. Mind you, the information quality is not a lot different.

Of more concern is seeing the same on the screen of an ATM at a bank. One does start to wonder what the designers think about. I suppose that they must go to the M$ Developer Conferences and drink the Kool-Aid.

Reply to
Andy Hall