Advice sought for pumped shower

We need to install some kind of powered shower system, as the tanks are only just overhead and gravity doesn't provide the oomph required. Behind the side panel to the bath is a pair of pipe fittings, clearly ready for connection. These are independent of the bath tap pipes, so the present bath taps can stay. I see that these pumped showers fit into one of two basic categories, one with a pump down where the fittings are, the other being a wall-mounted self-contained unit. In my situation, I don't want to go digging into the tilework and brick walls, and I am prepared to have a pipe, or pipes, running from the floor to the shower head on the wall. There is even a set of three Rawlplugged holes in the wall already, although I doubt that I could find the same unknown layout. My research has led me to Triton's Mixer for External pipework, fed from a Twin Impeller Pump down on the floor. Are there any sensible comments on this, or other, systems? Is this indeed the best setup for my requirements? All help much appreciated.

Reply to
Davey

We had the same pressure problem and fitted the pump at the cylinder as recommended by the pump we used. This has the effect of giving pressure to both the bath and sink taps and also the Bog. it is really useful. the bog fills in 90 seconds instead of 5 mins and the bath is a delight to fill now.

Also our kitchen hot tap is pumped and that is still better. A real result.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Interesting thoughts. The shower is the only problem, the bath is that much lower than the shower head that it fills fast enough, as does the toilet. But thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Davey

The Aqualisa Quartz uses a single pipe from the ceiling which doubles as the support rail for the shower head

The pump and control lives in the attic by the cold water tank. Very simple to install.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Do you use hot water to flush the toilet?

Reply to
BartC

That's close to what we have, our pump lives under the bath and powers one shower over the bath and another in a shower room across the hall. It works well even with both showers in use.

The supply to the pump is taken from the 21mm bath supply pipes.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

He didn't imply that he did. A dual impeller pump boosts both hot and cold water supplies, as I understand it.

Reply to
Davey

Interesting, thanks. In my case, that would require more work to install than the Triton, but I will certainly bear it in mind. With so many options, it might come down to a matter of total cost.

Reply to
Davey

Yes, that is exactly what I'm looking at. What are the electrical requirements, including legal requirments? Can I use the socket in the airing cupboard that would power the immersion heater if we ever used it?

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

We have an Aqualisa shower fed from a Stuart Turner double ended pump.

The plumber had arranged an oversize cold header tank but daughters showering still manage to empty this, leading to airlock issues. Fitting a Yorkshire flange to the hot tank did not cure the problem but may have helped.

It has been suggested in here that the header tank fill valve could be duplicated to speed up fill.

Somebody with more mathematics may be able to advise on suitable flow rates to give optimum shower time without draining cold tank or over cooling the hot.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Gary - that is near enough the problem I have, though the feed to the bath and toilets is OK, but I would like to get rid of the electric shower and the feed to the kitchen sink hot tap needs boosting.

What pump are you using ? Is it fed from the typical hot water tank outlet or is it a fitting a bit down from the tank top ?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Nothing to stop you doing it - see what the mains pressure is and what your pump pressure will be and put a pressure reducer onto the mains to match the pump output. That's assuming the mains pressure normally exceeds the pump, but you'll have to put a figure on it.

Reply to
grimly4

The plumbing is simple, cut out a 6 inch piece of pipe and slide on the couplers. At least you know then that the pressure is matched. also it means that you can use the washing machine whilst someone is in the shower as the pressure wont be affected.

We only use a mixer tap. It is very stable.

Gary

Reply to
Gary