Adhesive for use in fridge

The milk shelf in our fridge - in the name of being adjustable (!?) is held in place by sliding onto some moulded rails on the door.

With depressing inevitability, these have cracked and the shelf is listing drunkenly.

Because the plastic the rails were made from is a flimsy thin type, it won't hold a screw properly.

Since I will never need to adjust the shelf height (and never did) a permanent fixing is acceptable.

I am tempted to just use araldite (since I have some around), but I have a vague memory of warnings of adhesive odours tainting food.

What - if any - is the best adhesive to use in this situation ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The Natural Philosopher

Ah, time to dig around the garage :) Tx

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Clean the plastic well, and make sure the glue is good and hot.

Reply to
newshound

I glued our broken milk shelf together with hot melt... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Apart from hot glue, only a solvent filler that dissolves the plastic in use works, and I have had some slight success with car body filler on some plastics.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I glued the broken salad drawer together with hot melt, reinforced with cable ties. It looks like shit, but it hasn't broken again.

Reply to
Huge

is supposed to be very good for repairing 'fridges; I haven't tried it myself, though.

- Mike

Reply to
Mike

Look carefully at the part in question for clues as to what type of plastic it is you might have letters like PP=polypropylene or PC=polycarbonate, or you might have a Resin Information Code (Number inside recycling triangle).

From that you should find a suitable solvent to weld it, I think I used Polyweld from 5-star adhesives on my cracked fridge drawers, and they've been fine since, but it's rather difficult to recommend them, their webshop has been out of commission for a couple of years and works on the rather odd principle that you pay them after delivery.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Can you get to the back of it to slide a washer over the end of a snap rivet? I've successfully repaired a couple of fridge veg drawers by making an aluminium strap and riveting it to the drawer. Before pulling the rivet I put some adhesive (can't recall what) beneath the strap so that it oozed out when the rivet was pulled. Alternatively, could you get a piece of wood or aluminium to the outside of the point in question to use as an achorage for a screw?

Reply to
nospam

What solvent weld works for that particular plastic.

Reply to
<frde

Haven't used it on a fridge (smells of vinegar for a while), but it is very good for repairing minor damage to rubber car door seals before it rips any further. It isn't as flexible as the original rubber but with the right choice of mould release paper can be made to match the profile and texture very well. I was sceptical of it but got some on offer at Amazon to make an order up to the required free postage limit.

I think most fridges these days are polystyrene so a variant of model glue ought to make a satisfactory joint if you still have all the bits. Failing that any of the two part styrene based car body fillers but they do tend to pong of styrene for a long while afterwards which isn't something you really want in a domestic fridge with food.

Hot melt thermoplastic glue would probably be my choice on balance.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I had a look at our (clear) milk/juice Fridge door insert recently, as it too had developed a crack. The marking I found said

which seems to refer to "Styrene Butadiene", which can't be right, shurely?

I was looking for some clear compatible plastic welding rods but these only seem to be available in 'acrylic' which i don't think would work.

Yes, they have/had some interesting looking adhesives but it is clearly a 'challenge' to actually order anything from them successfully!

jon N

Reply to
jkn