Adhesive ABS <> Wood

Hi,
What would you use to glue ABS and wood (either ply, soft or MDF) together? There is a need for some small gap filling abilty and be slightly flexable (read not brittle when set). Preferably easyly available from the sheds.
I've never had much success using "superglue" with ABS and anyway that stuff really requires a very close fit to be really effective.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Hot melt glue? If gluing to MDF, you need a fair surface area as the surface layer of the MDF comes away very easy if the glue does not penetrate the surface, (which it won't with hot melt glue). Sticks to ABS very well.
Rick

No more nails any good for this?
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Impact adhesive, I would have thought (Evil Stink and its ilk).
--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Epoxy works passably well, and car body filler may be somewhat better, though brittle, but neither bonds exactly to abs - it is more like excellent suction than a solid glue joint.
I'd think a spirit based rubbery glue like a evostik contact would be first class - it will slightly dissolve teh ABS and do a good bond, but gap fill it ain't.
A polyuretahne glue as used for shoes may be worth a try as well. Some are foamie and should gap fill.
more of a question than an answer Feb Foam?
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:37:54 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions but after digging about some more on the web it finally dawned that some solvent weld waste/overflow pipe is ABS... As I happen to have some solvent weld "glue" in the pumbing kit I tried that and it seems to have worked pretty well. Time will tell of course.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

It bonds to the plastic, but not really to the wood.
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:10:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It's done the trick, and is pretty damn firm. I haven't tested to destruction as I glued the bits I needed glued not a test piece.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Actually it disolves the ABS plastic and then evaporates leaving the ABS plastic behind. I would think that if used with wood and ABS some of the dissolved ABS would penetrate into the wood and stay there when the solvent evaporated again, effectually creating a very strong bond, but I have never tried this so can't say for sure...

That seems to confirm my beliefs :-)
/Morten

It seems pretty similar to balsa wood cement used on model aircraft.
--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, to polystrene cement used to make plastic kits.
Neither of which actually bond that well to wood.

*balsa* wood kits.
--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No. Polystrene cement does not work on balsa kits, and balsa cement does not work on plastics.
ABS adhesive is much closer to polystyrene cement.
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:53:03 -0000, Morten wrote:

There was only marginal wetting of the wood surface when I applied the glue. I did clamp up the joint and leave it for a good 6 hours. Even if there is no penetration into the wood there will be a very close mating/moulding of the surfaces.
Mr Plowmans reference to Balsa cement might be correct but it is ages since I used the stuff and memory doesn't tell me any difference in the niff between polystyrene cement and solvent weld stuff. Google google, MEK seems to be in polystyrene cement as well (along with polystyrene resin). I'm *sure* I've tried polystrene cement on ABS without success in the past...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

All plastic cements are a solution of the appropiate plastic in one of a few sorts of solvents.
Balsa cement is a different plasticentirely. It never worked at all on most plastics. And was crap on balsa IIRC. These days one uses CA as an infinitely better way to stick balsa matchsticks together...
My cocerne over the use of plsatic cement on teh wood is that it will be more of a 'vacuum' bond and won;t really penetrrate the microstructures.
Hot melt glue works BTW.