Add A Rad - Near Boiler?

A new combi boiler has turned our utility room from the warmest in the house to mini-Siberia. But how to install a radiator there? (On a one pipe system, if that matters.)

Should you tee off both the flow and return (which are 22mm)? Or would that create an undesirable 'loop' close to the boiler?

Is the answer to squeeze two reducing tees into one pipe? And would flow or return br the better choice?

Reply to
woodface

I'd put a 22/22/15 T in each of the supply and return pipes assuming these are routed directly to the other radiators and not upstream of other controls. Then balance your system according to the faq. The rad in my utility room closest to the boiler needed the valve winding almost all the way closed to balance it with rest of system so it doesn't appear like a shorted loop to the boiler.

Colin M replies to group

Reply to
Colin M

It probably doesn't matter much which way. In order to plumb it as a single pipe system, you will need the two T's to be a reasonable distance apart, normally the length of the radiator (that's how the balancing between radiators on the same single-pipe circuit is usually done). This will require that you have that length of pipework available in the utility room. Also, you don't want long tails from the single pipe to the radiator. The return will be cooler so you'll need a larger radiator for the same power output, but I would install in the return as that will have less effect on the other radiators in the circuit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel