Acrylic decorator's caulk

Used some by Evostik for the first time. Do all brands shrink as much?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno. Mine barely shrinks at all - from Cornell I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've never compared, but I've not found one to shrink much, or I wouldn't bother with the stuff. Mine is just Screwfix's bog-standard stuff.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , Andy Dingley writes

I've used a variety of brands and not generally noticed a lot of shrinking as a rule - around door frames, skirting etc.. However I used some the other day to fill some slightly wide gaps in a shiplap boarded wall that didn't fill when painted. I noticed that this one had shrunk into the gaps quite a lot.

Maybe it depends on the application.

Reply to
chris French

I used it to fill over the fixings for plasterboard I was intending just painting rather than skimming - and thought the fast drying would be better than normal filler. But they all shrunk - and badly.

Using it to produce a fillet wouldn't matter so much provided it didn't lose adhesion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ahh, yes, probably not a good application for it

Reply to
chris French

I find that trying to use flexable decorators caulk as a surface filler is not very good. It's too sticky so when you smooth it with an impliment it drags out of the hole... It skins rather quickly and even if you wet it down you still can't get a good flush finish.

For the gaps around door frames, tops of skirtings it's excellent, I've never noticed any shrinkage. I bought a box of B&Q's "value" stuff a few years back, still works fine.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Use a wet tool.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I had no trouble getting an excellent finish using a polished metal filling knife wet. A better finish than I'd expect from 'normal' fillers without polishing them after they've partially set.

It's just that it shrunk...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe you got it to wet? When the water evaporates it shrinks, with plaster etc a proportion of the water chemically bonds to the filler. One of the reasons why plaster is such a good fire break, it contains a lot of water that has to be "unbonded" and driven off before the plaster loses it's integrity.

With normal fillers it's bang it in, scrape of most of the excess and leave to dry. Quick rub with 80 grit ali oxide when dry to remove the tiny excess. I may remove surrounding excess when partially set if there is more than just a thin scrape.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have tried a few makes .... currently stick to Akzo Nobel make, but all the ones I have do shrink back when they dry.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes