A suggestion for sleep

If we stopped the earth's rotation, we could live in the light for as long as we wanted, then travel over to the dark side for sleep. Do we have to turn round?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why should we have light and dark? Perhaps a mirror so it's always light everywhere. More crops, more food, sleep whenever you like.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I bet you're worried stopping the rotation would prevent gravity :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It would f*ck up geostationary satellites, the wind and half the planet would be barren - to mention three.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

They would I guess, as if the planet were not rotating as it orbits the sun it would be light for 6 months and dark for 6 months for most points on the surface (assuming the tilt axis was 0 degrees)?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I'm sure a solution could be found.

Really?

But the other half would be lush.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Ok it needs to turn very slowly to counteract that.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No they don't. There are house plants in my living room which is light almost all the time (PIR activated lights come on for parrots and cats aswell as me, someone is always up and about). They actually grow twice as fast.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Using mirrors to replace street lighting with moonlight was tried in Russia years ago. I wasn't clear why they didn't continue it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How is that going to work?