A pole for a hammock, in the garden

I'd like to put up a hammock in the garden; there's a convenient tree, but nothing for the other end of the hammock. Could I expect a pole I stick deep into the ground to hold up? How deep would it have to go?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

this is too hard a question for an accurate answer, but if the user is not too heavy, and the soil is fairly solid , and the hitch is less than about four foot from the ground, then a steel scaffold pole, driven about 6 foot in should be ok. A proper job would involve an I-beam girder set in concrete.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Can you define "suitable tree"? What sort of soil is it in?

They vary a bit, and can be damaged by smaller loads than you might think.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Probably not unless you went very deep. Someone here about a year or so back did do the calculations on the force on a hammock support and it works out at a silly figure.

I do know that Mangrove trees used as hammock supports frequently fell over (always at about 04:00 for some reason). As Mangrove swamps are not that common in back gardens I am afraid this gem will probably be of little practical value.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I'd either use a proper metal hammock support (i.e. both ends welded to each other through tubing) or a lot of concrete. I wouldn't use any tree I was fond of (except maybe a 15m tall oak or similar).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Depends what's available. In timber - 6-8" post, 2-3 feet under ground, with the soil packed in tight around it. In steel 3-4" tube with 4-6mm wall, again 2-3 feet under ground.

Reply to
Grunff

Initially you think of a huge post, but if you think about a 5 bar 12 foot gate, with somebody climing on the un-hinged end, you propably have a bit more weight to deal with than in a hammock. So if my line of thought is not completly wrong, a gate post should do the trick. Mine (8 inch square) are in the ground about as far as the stick out, abour 120cm. Mine were fitted into holes drilled into the ground (a big drill on a digger)

Now if you are a 20 stone sort of person, and are thinking of enjoying the company of your larger friend in the hammock, and getting some swing going, then my idea is probably not going to work ....

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Hi,

Not many good scouts on this group ;) something like this would be quite easy to rig up:

Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I had one of those strung across my front room at one time. A screw in Eye into the most "cornerest" ceiling joists in the room on the diagonal plane.

Easily supported 2 full grown adults

I would suggest any pole/steak sunk into the ground at an angle similar to that of the incline of the hamock (like that shown in the above link) would greatly reduce the lateral loading by transfering it in a straighter line to the ground.

A perpendicular support would be a hugely ineficient means of bearing the load.

Reply to
Pet

Use a 4"x4" fence post (pick it carefully to avoid weak knots in the timber), with the top anchored to a stub in the ground:

---hammock---| |\ | \ post| \ | \ | \ stub | / ========|====/======= ground | / |

I bet that doesn't come out. Anyway, you could also consider a cross-bar.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote in news:1gem7tl.saze4d6m5o60N% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk:

check out the mexican Hammock companies hanging info at

Chris Selwyn-Smith

sturdy peg driven into the ground (or convenient tree etc), rather than teh way they do it with one post and two ropes.

Reply to
John Stumbles