A physics / electrical / philosophical question.....

is my crude drawing of a swimming pool. There are four wires hanging in the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

Assuming your isolating transformers are perfect and have no capacitive reactance between windings then there will be zero interaction between the two circuits. PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

Reply to
Graham.

ing in the pool. =A0L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transf= ormer. =A0L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer= . =A0Both are identical transformers. =A0If you turn ONE of them on, then t= he current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. =A0But what if you t= urned both on? =A0Do they care whose electrons they get back? =A0Can't elec= tricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance?= =A0If not why not?

on the corner shouting at the cars that went by.

If the wires N1 and L2 were connected and L1 and N2 ditto, there would obviously a dead short on the sum of voltages which are in-phase and additive. So the first premise is correct.

Rusty

Reply to
therustyone

the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

If we replace the swimming pool with a set of resistors (6 should be adequate to model the various possible current paths), and the transformers with a pair of batteries, does that change your answer?

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

Reply to
Clive George

in the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

Now I've got two conflicting answers.....

Continue to discuss.....

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new paragraphs. A big block of text is intimidating and relatively difficult to read. If you're asking for advice, it's courteous to make your question easy to read.

Tim

Reply to
<address_is

I thing Graham was. I was referring to the fact that the OP is more than a bit of a nob. Hang around, you'll observe this.

Reply to
Clive George

I disagree with a lot of opinions, that doesn't make me a nob.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Agreed - but I didn't think I'd typed enough to warrant two paragraphs.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

is will not happen?

Possibly because they use pulsed stimulation from high source impedance drivers and the pulses are not simultaneously present on the multiple outputs.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

If you completed your diagram by including the secondary windings on each transformer outside the pool i.e. between L1 and N1, and L2 and N2 respectively, and bearing in mind that in any circuit, electrons go round in a loop, in this case from L1 across the pool to N1 and then back through the winding to L1 again, ditto L2 and N2, then you can see that the two circuits are separate and electrons won't travel from L1 to N2.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

You missed out the loop involving both secondary windings and the short paths through the pool. L1->N2->L2->N1->L1.

Reply to
Clive George

will not happen?

Ah..... that makes sense. Thanks.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

in the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

In another words, you'd get a tingle no matter where you were in the pool!

No I'm not planning on zapping a load of people, honest!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

When viewed in Thunderbird your posts do indeed wrap to my window, however large I make it, even stretched across my two monitor extended desktop.

When viewed on my usual newsreader, Forte Agent, your entire post appears as a single line and I have to scroll across to read it.

I am sure I don't have this issue with other Opera users, is there a setting for the maximum length of a line? Failing that you could try hitting the return key once in a while.

Reply to
Graham.

You probably don't. The OP is a nob, he has known about the problem for years, many people have pointed out the error of his ways, he's refused to do anything about it.

Reply to
Clive George

I use MT-NewsWatcher and have no trouble at all; it wraps to the window.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why doesn't Our Graham get a better newsreader?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Indeed - Forte is very clunky.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

in the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

Think Kirchhoff... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine