A cure for Insomnia?

  1. How do you magnetise scrap iron? I put some magnets on a couple of radiators and noticed I have managed to get a some sleep recently. Now I want to overdo things if its possible.

Hopefully it might have some effect on the semi-permanent overcast/heat island effect in Stoke on Trent.

  1. What is a pulse motor? I was looking at an electric pulse motor on Youtube and can't understand how it switches itself off and on as it goes round.

The current should be as continuous as the magnets and dynamics are, no?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Superglue the magnets to your forehead and report back ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

'Doctor - is it true that sleeping outside is a cure for insomnia?' 'Yes, but sleeping inside has the same effect.'

Reply to
Scott

I think you will find you need to turn the bed so your feet are to the north to make this work. :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Tried that once. All my thoughts were running in cycles. I blame the Lorentz-Force.

Reply to
Matthias Czech

My wife says that she counts backwards in sevens in order to go to sleep. She says it is also good practice for when she has to take the Mini Mental State Test. (It's a test for dementia, and that's one of the questions - start at 100 and count backwards in sevens.

Bizarrely, I can report from my test (N=1) that it works. I started at

100, 93, 86, etc, and before I got into the 50's I fell fast asleep until the morning.
Reply to
GB

I am 76 and never would be able to do that quickly even when younger after 93 it would take time consuming calculation subtracting each 7, maybe that is the idea.I hope they give tons of time in dementia test

Reply to
FMurtz

Seconded. ;-)

Quite.

I think different people (and so with different mind wiring) see things (like maths) differently.

In any of my school classes it was obvious there were always some who just 'saw' maths and could do mental arithmetic quickly and accurately to a level I would probably still struggle with on paper. ;-(

Familiarity with a specific range of numbers can also play a part, easily observed by watching people playing 301 darts (often whilst semi inebriated and in a pub and joking with their mates) and calculating 3 x 19 + 17 + 3 x 9 off 179 in the time it takes to walk to the scoreboard (WTF!).

But the people who could do that in my class weren't necessarily the ones building a rowing boat or rebuilding cars and engines and may not have been good at doing so, even if they tried?

I also think some of this comes down to memory. If you have a naturally good one and for those sorts of things (memory can be selective) then I guess it would be easier than for those who still don't know their own mobile number after 15+ years? ;-(

I would be crap at 'remembering' a vehicle registration number but I would likely spot (and remember) that the n/s/r tyre was soft and that there was a dent beside the o/s/r taillight.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I can remember the landline number we had when I was nine.

I can't actually remember my current landline number as I never ever use it! (I must make a note of it sometime in case I need to report it faulty.)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I cannot do this even when I was 20, its probably because its bloody boring and pointless. No the real cure is to record thee Eurovision this weekend and put that on when you want to go to sleep. The bit is very good for this. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually, my main way of going to sleep is to imagine I'm on a spacecraft heading away from earth, looking out from a rear facing camera, as the speed increases all the colours shift to the red end and the world gets smaller, and then disappears.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh, plenty of time; no point hurrying people who have dementia.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Last dementia test I observed the testee thought it was 1924. I just hope I never get it.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Count your breathes Does it for me.

Reply to
fred

My works HR site or the H&S site or the iTunes T&Cs that should do it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Four digits are usually easier to remember, hence debit card pin numbers, .... and WHItehall One Two One Two.

Somerset relatives had 3 digit numbers in the 60's

Reply to
Andrew

I can remember my first car reg CHC 281D, only 48 years ago.

Reply to
Andrew

I just watch Graham Norton after the news .... Zzzzzzzzz

Reply to
Andrew

So can I, not difficult as it's still my parents' number

Parts of lincolnshire did into the 80's

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mine was 410 BPG, originally built in 1956 and still running around Ipswich last time I looked.

Reply to
Tim Lamb