650W 2/ genny questions

Hi All,

A mate has just given me an old but working 2/ generator, one of those sold in the sheds and such under several brand names, mine is a Cosmo, like this:

've only been given the genny wondered if the DC outlet is any form of 'std' and if so where to get a mating plug please? [1]

Also anyone know if here is an operators and / or service manual out there anywhere (just out of interest, there isn't much to know to use it as such).

Cheers, T i m

[1] It's two flat pins like an American mains plug but with one pin turned through 90 deg.
Reply to
T i m

should be possible to put one together in 10 minutes.

NT

Reply to
NT

It is a nominal 12V, intended for charging car (type) batteries. I believe rated at 8A.

However, on measuring mine, it was just 12V (off load) so I doubt it would be much good for charging a car battery.

Not all of the many versions have this DC output.

Try this:

Brian Reay

From the specs I've seen so far I think the socket itself might be rated at that (8A) but I think the genny outputs around 5A.

Ok, worth some tests once I find a connector then (or fit an alternative one).

Ok.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hi everyone! RmRMiX Is a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them. People use RmRMiX to keep up with friends, ... We have new site for friends place to meet people and share your self.. at

please join with us... Thank You!

www.rmrmix.com

If it's not some sort of common standard connector for that role I'd rather fit a connector that is, like an Anderson power poles (especially as I already use them on a range of 12V devices).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Deffo measure the voltage output of yours,

the output is a battery charging output only, it's not regulated so the voltage will fluctuate, my one had 13 - 15 volts on the output, no good for running a 12 volt item off it, but ok for charging a small battery where the battery will smooth the crappy output.

my 650 watt 2 stroke genny died when i was in scotland this year, threw the main bearing and ejected the crank through the case,

i replaced it with a machine mart clarke 4 stroke inverter genny, the 1kw version, ok it was 4 times the price of the 2 stroke jobbie, but it uses half the fuel (i get 6.2 (measured) hours out of a 2.8 litre tank of fuel, that's using the eco throttle where the engine ticks over untill a load is on, then it only revs up enough to supply the load, sounds strange when running the motorhomes washing machine as it revs up each time the drum rotates, then goes back to idle when it stops) i dont need to keep buying 2 stroke oil, and whilst it's not that much quieter, it's a different frequancy sound, so less annoying to me, i dont run it near other people unless i have asked if it's ok first.

i can run the washer on this genny, as it's an inverter jobbie, the 2 stroke jobbie's output is far to spikey and crap to run something with thyristors safely, my charger is also fussy about it's power intput, would only run at half power on the 2 stroke (pulls 420 watts max input) but runs at full power on the inverter genny.

Reply to
gazz

Ok. I assumed that it was just a battery charger in any case so if I were to use it as a 12V supply I'd probably have it on a battery in any case.

;-(

It would be a good few times more expensive than mine (as it was nowt). ;-)

That seems to be what this one does? (well it went from tick over to a reasonable revs when a 800W hammer drill was plugged in and turned on).

;-)

Luckily I've got gallons of the stuff from 2/ outboards, chainsaws, strimmers and motorbikes etc.

What surprised / impressed me about this one was how mellow it sounded. No sign of the mechanical noises you often get with 4/s (valve gear and oil pumps etc).

Understood. A immediate use would be running some (230V) low wattage sanding tools and maybe some (150W) flood lights for daughter and her new chainsaw carving hobby. With her saw marked at over 100dB I don't think anyone will hear the genny running! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Anderson Powerpoles? Do the letters CQ mean anything to you?

73 Brian G8OSN/W8OSN
Brian Reay

A bit. ;-)

T i m (G7ICW)

Reply to
T i m

Isn't it a standard caravan DC plug?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know, is it? ;-)

Actually, looking at the plug in the Gumtree picture the prongs look longer than anything I've seen on any caravan accessory list (my caravan folds and isn't 'wired' as such).

I said elsewhere, if it turns out it isn't a std (or even a common std) I might be tempted to do my own thing in any case.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m