6 ohm speakers - uprate to 8 ohm?

Electrically - and especially if one side of the speaker connection is at earth potential (ie connected to the 'chassis side of the amplifier)

- I can't see any reason why you shouldn't use coax.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

At some point it has to be connected to the speaker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

None whatsoever if it has adequate sized conductors. The design of the cable simply doesn't matter with speakers and a decent amp. You could use co-ax as mains lead too if you wanted. But the same point arises - why would you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They used to. When I was working with the SESEB as a student, one area of town was found to have the local distribution wired in co-ax. Why? now that's another question.

Reply to
charles

It tends NOT to come in seriously large cross sections suitable for tens of watts or more. And milli-ohm resistances. And, when it does, its bloody expensive and very hard to bend and prone to shorting out if you do. And it adds more capacitance than standard flat twin cable for similar values of resistance.

But equally, there is no *advantage* to using it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is occasionally preferable. Underground feeds are often armoured coax...where the neutral is tied to earth,.

Here the inability to bend is an advantage. Makes for a more robust cable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IOW, it's designed for signals, not power. Now the pedantic might argue that it *is* a signal going to a l/s, but then I'd invite them to present their arse to meet the tip of mein jackboot!

Reply to
Tim Streater

The majority of the responders on this thread wouldn't be daft enough to spend that amount anyway - or are simply too tight, even if it were shown to be worthwhile (which is unlikely).

Reply to
grimly4

2.5 T&E for fixed installations, or 16A mains flex if you're feeling flush is as good for speakers as any boutique cable.

Of course, what's best for small rooms is powered speakers with balanced signal cables feeding them. Up to three grand or more a pair for decent ones which, unlike most domestic stuff, can show you the problems you get if you don't acoustically treat the room.

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

This might make a decent speaker cable got a bit of copper in it;). Bet Russ Andrews would flog it for 10 times the price and get sales;!...

This is standard 20 mm dia stuff it can be obtained up to around 75 mm or more even!..

tony sayer

Well you can get it to take Kilowatts of RF and indeed thats done, not cheap mind you;!. You can get co-ax rigid feeder up to around 6 and quarter inch if you are really serious about sound;))..

Reply to
tony sayer

That's a waveguide, isn't it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

it appears to be 50mm OD.

"Outer sheath

-Material Black polyethylene

-Thickness (mm) 1.7

-Diameter (mm) 50.0"

Frankly it looks more sutable for either connecting up KW sized transmitters, or six of the best in thirty-sixes buttocks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

no. That's when you remove the centre part entirely..:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes!, was thinking of some LDF 450 I have to buy and how bl^^dy much thats going to cost;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

No its co-ax in structure..

Just made out of rigid pipes and tubes and PTFE insulators and filled with pressured Dry Nitrogen;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Ah yes, that's right. After studying waves guides as a physics student at Imperial, the buggers didn't set a Q on it in my finals, and I've deliberately blotted it out ever since.

Reply to
Tim Streater