Home intercom system ques

Bill:

B > Our home has a broken 70's Nutone (tube type) AM/FM intercom system. B > We did initially try to have this unit repaired and the tech said it B > was cheaper to replace. The cabling to each room is 3 wires. We are B > looking for a basic intercom to replace this; the primary purpose to B > play CD music throughout the house. I have looked a little on Ebay and B > such and most systems are in the $500-700 range here. Any ideas how B > we could get this done for less? We are pretty frugal here! Thanks B > in advance - Bill

If you want good quality sound you probably will be better off to use the three wires for speaker leads. Haven't heard intercoms lately but last I did they sounded rather tinny. Even an inexpensive speaker would sound better!

Be cautious when wiring: speakers in parallel will drop the impedence quickly. Two 8-ohm speakers in parallel is a 4ê load. OTOH two 4ê lines in series would bring it back up to 8ê. You're also playing with the output levels.... Can use a 6ê higher-wattage resistor between the speaker output on the amplifier and all the paralleled speaker leads.

  • Headline: Suicidal twin accidently kills brother.
Reply to
barry martin

Hi,

Buy a cheap amp and run your cd to it. Now run your speakers to the rooms with basic speaker cable. You can run it in series if you choose to save runs from the amp. Cost is about $200

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7