3hr power cut thanks to some trees

Would you find a ventilator in a patient's home?

Reply to
harry

None whatever in an emergency.

Reply to
harry

Telegraph poles don't carry electrical power.

TELEGRAPH Do you get it?

It's very unusual to find overhead power lines in urban situations.

Reply to
harry

is restored after an unplanned outage...

They don't say. Perhaps they don't want to connect someone with a PV feed in or a back up generator (which I am considering hiring) to a line that is supposedly dead while their blokes are still working on it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Oh yes - though by no means all with the full-blown, invasive, mechanical stuff. AIUI there's been a big increase in the use of non-invasive ventilation in recent years.

Reply to
Robin

If you want to be picky they probably haven't been carrying telegraphs for 50 years - and the telephone cables do carry power at -48V or so, though the operators will be very unhappy if you try to use it for anything but your telephone...

Unusual, but far from unknown - e.g.

I lived there they were the old style with four separate conductors, so clearly they have had work done on them relatively recently)

Reply to
docholliday93

There are also a fair number of oxygen concentrators in use domestically, I believe.

Reply to
John Williamson

Nah!, This is an urban power pole;!...

Anyone any idea which came frost the estate or the power line?.

I runs quite some way right thru a rather densely populated urban area....

tony sayer

Is that from 'Eskimo Nell'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I expect everyone to get a universal service (rather like the Royal Mail service, whether you live on top of an isolated hill or in the middle of London). So, if for whatever reason there are far fewer pylons in urban areas, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be "subsidising" this rather expensive nuisance of tree-cutting to protect overhead rural power lines. Whether it's possible to subsidise a reduction in the number of power disconnections (whether caused by emergencies or by routine preventative pruning etc), I really don't know. If it *is* possible, then I suppose the answer to your question has to be that I would expect you to subsidise the reduction only if that reduction is creating a level playing field such that urban dwellers and rural dwellers have an approximately equal risk of the odd disconnection. That's a reasonably fair way of looking at it. And if it is in fact more costly to maintain urban power grids, rural dwellers should subsidise that in return. Isn't that the only fair answer?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

years - and the telephone cables do carry power at -48V or so, though the operators will be very unhappy if you try to use it for anything but your telephone...

clearly they have had work done on them relatively recently)

Shiver, the very view to work for many years.

I was somewhere else recently that still had overhead lines along a street, Barnstaple possibly, but like the link above they were innocuous wooden poles. Some places had fairly hefty steel ones not unlike those that once supported tram or trolley bus wires. Littlehampton was one such a place, I visited there recently for the first time in about 25 years and couldn't immediatly work out what was missing till I came across a postcard with a scene depicting a street with the old green painted steel poles festooned with cables.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

n power is restored after an unplanned outage...

PV has an anti-islanding feature as would any back up generator.

harry

I don't think so. Ventilators are an inherently dangerous device. Anyone so ill to need one would be in hospital.

You might find home dialysis.

Reply to
harry

So, in your opinion, all sufferers from sleep apnoea and other breathing problems which the current home ventilators can help with should live in hospitals?

Not to mention all the people round here who suffer from pneumoconiosis after working in the mines all their lives. The oxygen concentrators can be dangerous too.

You get worse, Harry.

Reply to
John Williamson

Wrong. Google for "home ventilator" and learn. Or look carefully at this URL:

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

TBH that should be a fun night for the boys.

Reply to
ARW

In theory. But Sod's Law dictates that on the night when candlit dinner is a necessity all the boys want to do is watch television, and on the night when nothing untowards happens but you either want them to go to bed or quietly watch TV because you've got an important phone call to make (etc) or a rehearsal to go to, that's when they scream "but I want you to light a fire tonight, Daddy".

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

The liberal use of the word want says a lot.

Reply to
ARW

I'm sure it does. Three and a half year olds are good at wanting lots of things that you're not going to give them...

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

It seems they are good at not doing what you "want" them to do.

Reply to
ARW