32 mm waste elbow

A friend of my wife's has had a recurring problem with the waste through her kitchen wall blocking. It takes waste from dishwasher, waste disposal unit and washing machine. If it was mine I would have investigated it and made sure there are no burrs on the pipe, etc. But every time it happens she calls a plumber who merely unblocks it.

I was wondering if there is an elbow which has a screw cap that can he removed for unblocking. She would then be able to do it herself. I used to see them in metal but are they available in plastic 32mm? If so I will get her to ask her plumber to fit one (I may even do it for her)

Reply to
John

It is called a rodding point.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Replace the elbow with a solvent-weld tee-connector and add a screw- cap rodding point on the appropriate branch of the tee.

Upgrading to 40mm may help too.

Reply to
dom

I'd think 32mm a bit small to handle that lot, 40mm would be better.

You can buy them in Wickes, they fit into a tee. Assume its solvent weld ?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

She has push fit I believe. Perhaps I need to offer to re-plumb it for her.

Reply to
John

genews:p4vMo.7893$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.ams...

r.- Hide quoted text -

It probably only needs pulling apart and deburring.

Reply to
cynic

BR says waste disposal units should be on 50mm. A tee and a blanking plug will do what you want, or replumb in 50.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

but solvent weld. As others have said, 32mm is too small to take that lot though

andrew

but solvent weld. As others have said, 32mm is too small to take that lot though

change to 50mm as previous stated by tabby, 32mm is nowhere near big enough, her plumber has a nice little earner there, I would have thought he would have advised her to.

Reply to
A Plumber

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John" saying something like:

Easy enough to make one, using a swept T and a blanking plug with removable cap.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The chunks from the waste disposal unit are probably the problem, getting stuck at the elbow on the outside? As others have said 32mm isn't really big enough but you might be able to mitigate the problem by changing an elbow to a swept bend, this will almost certainly require some surgery to the wall.

If you are going to do any work one may as well (try to) put a swept T inside with the flow coming down the swept section and out through the wall leaving the straight through for access. Blanked off of course for normal use... The layout and alignment of the existing pipe work might not allow this even switching the flow straight through and access round the bend.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

32mm is only large enough for a small hand basin, kitchen sink waste is 40mm wash machine should be on 40mm, if your adding waste disposal no way can 32mm be big enough, stop pissing about, change to at least 50mm with rodding points and do the job properly
Reply to
A Plumber

That could be the motto of uk.d-i-y (along with use an angle grinder), for the number of times problems are caused by inadequate/on-the-cheap work.

Reply to
dom

Thanks for your advise - I have passed on to her what she needs to tell her plumber (and insist on). I believe she has some sort of insurance that deals with repairs - but they will be quick bodges.

Reply to
John

"To replace frost damaged waste pipe" =A3---- ?

Reply to
cynic

"To replace frost damaged waste pipe" £---- ?

I realise I could do the job - but frankly - she can afford to pay to get it done - she needs help in specifying what is needed. If I went to do it I just have that concern that a simple job would entail about 2 trips to the plumbers merchant - attending to other jobs like loose hinges on kitchen cupboards and a myriad of other jobs that I couldn't resist tackling whilst I am there. there would be the inevitable "ping-f--k it" somewhere along the line, I would get cold and get back ache.

Reply to
John

The traditional approach is a swept tee, with a rodding eye fixed into one non swept junction.

Using 32mm for this application is asking for trouble - especially with a waste disposal. Are you sure its not 40mm (i.e. 1.5")?

Reply to
John Rumm

If its blocking frequently, push fit is probably better. You can dismantle it!

Reply to
John Rumm

To be honest I am not sure. Last time I saw it I wasn't really paying attention - I assumed it would be the same as mine.

Reply to
John

Yes - I have such arrnagments on every major leg - one day it will save my arse I'm sure...

32mm is common for bathroom basins (as is 40mm) but I've never seen 32mm on a kitchen sink - which doesn't prove it isn;t but unlikely.

I have 50mm for my major long runs with 40mm short branches for the appliances. Works well. I wouldn;t have an issue with a waste muncher into a short ish run of 40mm (or a longer vertical run) but 32mm as everyone else says is asking for trouble.

Reply to
Tim Watts