Kitchen Faucet

How long should one last? I'm not sure how old ours is. We bought this house almost 10 years ago. I have replaced the faucet since, perhaps 8 years ago. Not really sure. Began having problems with the faucet about 2 years after it was put in. The ring (appears decorative) around the sprayer came totally loose. Then the sprayer began sticking in the on position. Now it has gotten to the point of being severe. So much so that I am afraid to use the sprayer.

The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think he ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use Mr. Handyman next time if I can wait that long. Won't call him until I have a list of things to do because it does cost me $250 just to get him in the door.

But... How long should a faucet normally last?

Reply to
Julie Bove

How long it should last is also a function of your water quality. A sediment filter greatly changed how long the inside guts lasted in mine from 6 months to over 20 years.

Stick with better brands like Delta, Moen, Kohler, and avoid cheap store brands.

The sprayer is easily replaced by any competent DIYer if you know one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I still don't get it. Is it faucet or spray head and hose(repelacement kit available at HW stores) I had one problem with diverter valve for the spray head which was cheap plastic. I replaced it with bronze piece, no more problem since.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Faucets come in a range of prices and quality. You can pay a lot more than $250 on just the faucet.

Hoses and spray heads don't last as long as the faucet body and controls.

14 years and I recently replaced the stainless steel clad hose. Really a very simple job if you can screw and unscrew things. The part cost $45.

The sprayer is due for replacement soon, I get dripping out of the spray nozzles without the button being depressed. The sprayer head is simple to replace too. The part cost for that is $87.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

Soft water so no sediment.

In looking at online reviews, Delta isn't good. I have no clue what brand this is. I can't see a brand on it anywhere.

Yes but there are other issues and I don't know anyone who is handy.

Reply to
Julie Bove

The whole thing is crap. The faucet started dripping almost right away. And now it also leaks at the handle. It is a single handle. I just want something better.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Mine have lasted less than 10 years and they were all Moens. Kitchen faucet is probably most used one in the house. I had replaced a couple myself in my younger years but now with bifocals and stiff neck use a plumber and your charge seems about right.

Reply to
Frank

| How long should one last? | Began having problems with the faucet about 2 | years after it was put in.

There are differences in faucets, but there are also differences in the people using them. If someone in the house is rough with the faucet, yanking the hose without paying attention, or treating the handle as an on/off switch, that can make a difference. (I once had a landlord whose electric appliances were all broken. Whenever he got impatient with the appliance's performance he'd break something off to "punish it". Even his Apple computer was missing much of its face. :)

Many faucets will come with a weight to attach to the middle of the hose, so that it will hang easily under the sink. Whether you have that or not, you need to arrange things so that the hose does not catch on things in the cabinet.

In general I think the quality difference is more in the model and cost these days than in the brand. HD and Lowes carry most popular brands. They seem to make deals on items of all kinds, often contracting for models that don't exist elsewhere. The brands they carry are respectable brands, but that doesn't necessarily mean the HD models are top quality. What I've noticed myself is that all of their faucets have been severely downgraded over the years. As with much other hardware, the makers try to find ways to replace metal with plastic. Only 10 years ago a typical faucet base would be chrome plated metal and the connectors would be thick copper tubing with threaded ends to fit supply hoses. Now much of the faucet is plastic with "chrome" paint. The connectors are either shockingly thin copper tube or plastic hoses. The sprayer connector itself is a chintzy plastic fitting rather than threaded brass. I don't know how that compares to stock from a plumbing supply, but a plumber should know that.

| The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think he | ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use Mr. | Handyman next time if I can wait that long.

$250 for a plumber to replace a faucet is cheap where I live. Undoubtedly the faucet was cheap. Did you tell the plumber you wanted the best, regardless of cost? He/she may have guessed that you valued low price most. If you're going to call someone else next time, who will then buy the faucet at HD or Lowes, you're going to get another cheap faucet. (Not necessarily a bad one, but a cheap one.) HD and Lowes don't specialize in high quality of anything, in my experience. That's not to say that all of their stuff is junk, but they're retailers first, and most of their customers have limited expertise while they're looking for a cheap price.

If anyone really has the experience to know the quality difference between models it will be a plumber. I think you'd be better off finding a plumber who you trust. While you're at it, ask him or her why the old faucet wore out. The plumber will likely have a much better idea than a bunch of people in a newsgroup who are guessing based on very little information.

Reply to
Mayayana

Hi, For the time being, there is repair kit for that too. springs, o rings, etc. It will buy you good amount of time. Shut the water off, take the faucet apart repalce worn parts, done in half an hour. All you need is basic hand tools.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This looks like what I got 12 years ago, still functioning just fine although I did have to put a new seal/washer in the hot water cartridge a coupe of years ago. You can change the whole faucet in 30 minutes including a 15 minute coffee break. Some have only one O ring on the swivel, best to get the ones with two O rings. I don't know what this country is coming to when a person can't change their own faucets or look under the counter and determine why the sprayer hose hangs. About 30 bucks for one like this down at the local "we have everything" store Made with love from China, actually the machined parts were high quality, looked like something going on an airplane instead of the kitchen sink.

On 4/18/2014 8:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

Going to assume you mean the USA, but the OP could be from anywhere.

Usually, it's won't, not can't.

I'm going to cast a little blame on our education. I don't remember the class where they explained how plumbing works introduced us to wrenches, the fuse box, a level.

Sure, if you weren't too smart and were taking vocational training you might have gotten some of that.

Had a plumber here once working on a bathroom remodel. While he was here I discovered a clogged drain. He offered to clear it. I told him, "I'll be damned if I pay a plumber to clear a drain". Got a really strange look.

Apparently a lot of people are not familiar with snakes.

When I had the drain cleared in a few minutes, he called his brother (the GC) recounting the story.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

Okay. Thanks!

Reply to
Julie Bove

Hmmm... No weight on mine and I can't really rearrange the knobs down there which is what it is getting caught on. The old one never did tat.

Yes. Much of mine is plastic made to look like chrome.

It wasn't $250 to replace. It wa $250 plus installation. There is no way that this is a $250 faucet! He also put one in the garage. Told me he had one he would get me a deal on but charged $250 for that too and no sprayer. It's just a cheap utility sink. That particular plumbing company also charged me $250 plus installation to replace what was perhaps a $12 toilet part. I got another guy to intall a whole new toilet for slightly less than that! Which is why I don't want to use them unless it is in emergency. I have tried three different plumbing companies. All seem to do shoddy work in that I have to keep calling them back again and again for the same thing. At least with Mr. Handyman, if the job wasn't done right, he comes back and puts it right and doesn't charge me again.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Thanks! Looks like what my parents used to have.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Oooh! Do *not* call them snakes in front of a plumber. I had one totally go off on me. Told me there was no such thing as a snake!

I did manage to clear my slow draining bathtub. Took me the better part of the day and gallons of hot water, vinegar and a lot of baking soda. But usually I am no good at plumbing stuff and if anything, I only make things worse.

Reply to
Julie Bove

What did he want you to call it, an auger?

Bathtubs are tough. The water/chemical approach doesn't really get the job done well. A snake can work, but it's not easy. I had a tough bathtub and fooled with chemicals for a long time. Finally I got in the tub, used the entry point where the lever is, and pulled out loads of hair and muck.

As with lots of things, persistence pays off.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

A professional plumber would *never* insult a customer like that.

And not only was he unprofessional, he's wrong as well.

Send the 'drip' this link so he can buy a plumbing snake.

Zhang Yijie

Pulling that lever plate and lifting out the stopper usually gives you direct access to the drain pipe. You can try a toilet auger from there to get out the hair clogs and such. Try the plunger on the tub drain with that stopper out to clear it. Put a few inches of water in the tub to get some water to work with.

Reply to
gfretwell

Consider his perspective. Most of his calls are probably people who can't or won't clear their own drains. Wish I had a brother who is a GC.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep.

I had a real hard time getting the snake to make it's way through the trap and then out into the almost horizontal drain pipe. With the sharp turns it took a lot of persuasion. But persistence pays off.

It would be nice if they built tubs so that you could seal the lever plate opening easily. Then plungers would have a better chance. Old galvanized pipe doesn't give up hair balls too easily though.

Glad I eventually had the bathroom remodeled and PVC put in.

Reply to
Dan.Espen