3-bed semi central heating: combi vs. conventional boiler?

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:k2bdgf$64q$2 @dont-email.me:

Unfortunately, the kitchen where my boiler will be located doesn't have any room for radiators. I wish I could pay less and buy an inefficient boiler, so that the boiler itself would keep the room warm!

Al

Reply to
AL_n

A plinth mounting fan-assisted heater?

Owain

Have you thought of options like kickspace heaters that go under kitchen units (fed from the CH but usually with electric fan assist)?

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Until I read Owain's post (and yours) I didn't know they existed. They look like a good possible solition... Thank you....

AL_n

Owain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m3g2000vby.googlegroups.com:

Fantastic! I didn't know such things existed. Thanks for that...

AL_n

We have one in our kitchen and it's very good, undersized a bit but it works OK on boost; make sure you size it so it can run on low (and quiet) fan speed.

Reply to
gremlin_95

I have a Vaillant combi. It is a non-condensing one, one of the last before= only condensing combis could be installed. I installed it myself. It has j= ust developed its first fault after nine years of operation without any ser= vicing or intervention.

This would have been a biggie though, as no hot water or CH was being deliv= ered. The fault-funding flow chart arrived at the conclusion 'change pcb', = which would have cost a good deal I reckon if it were not for the fact I'm = an electronic engineer and tracked the problem down to an arcing relay, whi= ch I fixed myself. Still, nine years of fault-free operation isn't bad.

I took the cover off to inspect the burners whilst I was at it and it was c= lean as a whistle inside except for a collection of dead mossies. Nor did i= t have the sort of cover seals that need replacing. Vaillant aren't the top= brand and are nor immune to problems but I would recommend them.=20

I do hear it's best not to buy a new model of combi when it comes out - pro= blems can occur that they fix for later production models. Probably best to= buy a design that is reasonably mature.

Reply to
Andrew Philips