2nd opinion on plumbing into drains

Had a local plumber around to quote for a job and surprisingly enough he didn't really want hassle of actually carrying it out, as he was up to his eyeballs in work. He proferred some advice to me about where to run the drainage and that it was a easy-ish DIY job. He then left and said if I ran into any problems actually carrying it out to give him a shout.

The 2nd opinion I want is in regard to:

Water from a washing machine going into a Soakaway drain rather than the (presumably) Foul water drain that the sink water currently drains into. The plumber recommended using the soakaway rather than the more awkward problems I would have getting the drainage to the foul water drain. I would tend disagree with him on gut instinct, as it might cause some pollution problems.

So I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, before I make an expensive mistake.

TIA

-- Big Al - The Peoples Pal

Reply to
Big Al - The Peoples Pal

I can't quote chapter and verse, but it's certainly very undesirable - and probably illegal - to put washing machine output water into a soakaway rather than a foul drain.

Reply to
Set Square

If it gets really hairy, you can always consider a small sewage pump, which, depending on your exact layout, might enable you to reach the proper drain. I don't think I'd want the smelly soapy water rotting outside my window, even if it was legal, which it probably isn't.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Some plumber - did he come on a horse?

A pal did just this for both the washing machine and dishwasher, and succeeded in causing damage to the foundations of his house which cost large sums to fix. Of course I'd guess the soakaway was also faulty, but putting large amounts of foul water into something not designed for it is asking for trouble anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Disregarding anything else, soap residues would clog your soakaway, creating quite a hassle just a few years downstream.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Its okay, I have already installed the hot and cold water pipes 18" down (with protective 40mm waste pipe sleeving) and have now decided to put the waste in the same already open trench . This will enable the current kitchen foul drain to be used with a bit of jiggery pokery to the cement.

SWMBO has big plans for extending the kitchen into that area, which would entail moving the foul drain. I have weighed up the possiblities and decided on the hassle later option (banking on it never happening) is the one for me.

-- Big Al - The Peoples Pal

Reply to
Big Al - The Peoples Pal