2-pin u-shaped UV fluorescent tubes

HI Folks

I use one of those cheapie 'Gel Nail' UV light-boxes for setting UV resin glue.

They consist of four 9W uv bulbs in an enclosure, with a control/timer board. (same device as shown in the Big Clive video

)

One of the original lamps refused to strike after a good few years use, so I bought two sets of 4 lamps from Amazon - and plugged one set in.

Now the fun starts! Switched the thing on, and two lamps lit, two didn't - doing the 'click / flash' thing like you get with a failing fluoro.

After a lot of faffing, it seems that the unit will only reliably strike

2 lamps at a time.

With the original lamps, they were all striking reliably.

Does this suggest that the new bulbs are faulty in some way?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Is it cold where this device is? I have found that to be a factor. In one particular installation the two tubes were in series which meant the system did not of course use the heaters at all and simply raised the volts till conduction occurred then reduced it to the normal running volts. Very lasy way to do it and worked fine if it was indoor in a warm room the same cannot be said for a shed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa