13 amp fan ovens - any good?

Hi,

We're planning to replace the crappy old 13A conventional oven in our kitchen, but would prefer not to go through the upheaval of having a dedicated 30A circuit fitted.

Has anyone got any experience of 13 A fan ovens (e.g. Smeg S399XPZ6)? How do they compare to 30 A fan ovens? Any recommendations (positive or negative!)?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers, Alister.

Reply to
Alister Whitford

I believe they are now almost the "norm" - I fitted a 13amp double Stoves fan oven in our last house and it worked a treat. Quicker than the >13 amp Neff fan oven it replaced.

Reply to
Doctor D

Seconeded, I have a Seimens and it works fine

Reply to
James Salisbury

The Baumatic oven we have would be a 13A unit if it wasn't for the fact that erindoors decided to go for a double-width, two oven unit. Possibly the best electric oven we have had in recent years (we've used several - NEFF, Gaggenau, Bosch, Smeg and most recently Candy.)

If I can find out what the hell Baumatic call themselves in Italy, we will probably buy another four of these later this year.

Anyroad up, the 13A fan oven works perfectly.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks for the info - interested to see that Baumatic comes highly recommended as they always seem quite reasonably priced!

What is it about them that makes them stand out over the other makes you menti>

Reply to
Alister Whitford

They seem to be as well constructed as any of those makes, depending on model they offer a variety of installations (e.g. same cooker can be used with legs or fitted with a plinth) and they offer a modular range so that you can construct your own cooker choosing the width/hob that you like. Erindoors wanted a non-standard 1200mm wide unit with two ovens one with a rotisserie. I can't recall the bit of the catalogue that covers it, but it was buy a frame, add two ovens, specify hob get an oversized cooker. All at a much lower price than the previous stuff. Build quality reminds me of the Bosch or Gaggenau, possibly Smeg as well. The only regret is that if we had waited a couple of months longer the design change to larger knobs would have happened and I prefer those. The ones on ours are "keys" rather like the NEFF and I don't like them much.

Dealing with Baumatic themselves has been fine. We bought the cooker from an on-line dealer at a discount of about 30% from the catalogue price. It was delivered direct by Baumatic who took care to phone us and check when would be a good time to send it to us. Later we bought a cooker hood from a local dealer in Andover, cash and carry. When I got it home the flange that connects the hood to the vent tube was split, apparently by a ham-fisted twerp at the shop. I called Baumatic and they posted the entire installation kit to me FoC and it was here the next day. I contrast that with the interminable mucking about I've had with other makes who work via local installers none of whom seem keen to do any work at all.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I notice from our Neff manual that everywhere other than UK and Australia the fan over comes with a fitted plug anyway.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks, Steve - an in-depth review! We're strongly considering Baumatic, so this was extremely helpful...

Cheers, Alister.

Reply to
Alister Whitford

Shop around if you decide to buy one. The price varies immensely. For one unit we were interested in the price varied between £600 (ish) and £1200.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sounds like it's >3kW and

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

FYI I did the rounds for a Baumatic (only a single oven tho) quite recently and ended up buying one from the the cheapest outlet I found, which was

No problems.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I thought that used two phases to overcome this ?

Reply to
Mike

Actually, I'm not sure individual US appliances are allowed to use the full 1.8kW -- I have 1.4kW max at the back of my mind, but I might be wrong.

They do, but you typically get only one such socket in the house, for the cooker, and I don't think they are allowed for movable things like free-standing microwaves. Basically, if you go and look round a US store for their range of free standing combination microwaves, you'll find they have none as no one can take them home and plug them in. (Another issue is that there are several different types of 120-0-120V sockets in use.)

Actually even other appliances like are sometimes lower power rating over there due to this. My 1400W UK Dyson becomes a

10A (1200W) US Dyson (they seem to like quoting vacuum cleaner power in amps;-).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

From personal observation, I'd say it's not unusual to have one for the cooker, one for an air-conditioner, and one for a tumble-dryer.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

And their washing machines and dishwashers can't have heating elements. They rely on hot water from the tap, so you have to run off water until it gets hot before starting the machine and can't use timers, unless you want a cold wash.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My parents (who live in Pennsylvania) washing machine and dishwasher both have heating elements in them.

Reply to
Huge

Generally true, but there are a few newer, higher-end dishwashers which _do_ have heating elements and timers. The heating element is designed as a 'booster', to make sure that the temperature is adequate, and the machine is plumbed into the hot-water line.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Get your fan oven element on order fitted 10 this week all under guarantee.

Peter

Reply to
Peter