100w lamp.

You mean you still use manual lightswitches?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Had one of those in a standard pendant fitting. Failed long before its claimed service life. And due to the high initial cost, may not have saved any money overall. And, of course, had to put up with the pathetic light output until it warmed up. And even then, was nowhere near the claimed equivalent output.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was my reasoning. Now the house is equipped and there are spares of various sizes, no more buying for a year or so.

Reply to
PeterC

I take greater satisfation in fitting something that does not need returning several times.

Reply to
ARW

Never had any CFL do that except ones called "biobulbs" which were daylight white before such a thing was commonplace. They overheated and some made smoke after 6 months.

I find the CFL claims just fine, but LED bulbs are much dimmer than rated.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Such a thing is not always available at a sensible cost.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Oh I don't know. There's something charmingly brutish about putting so much power through a bit of metal that it glows enough to give light.

Reply to
~misfit~

yes and it heats up the room as well ...

Reply to
Jimbo /p

light bulbs are more efficient as heaters than heaters. 5 % light 95% heat. how many heaters are 95% efficient.

Reply to
Gary

my catalyst flueless gas fire .....

Reply to
Jimbo /p

putting so

Or if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why throw out a pefectly serviceable bulb? I'm waiting for the bulb in my desk lamp (40 W R50) that has a wobbly filament for years to go pop.

Er, electric ones are 100% as near as damn it... Fan heaters slighly less so as some of the enrgy input is converted to noise and moving air. Motor losses come out as heat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice