1" concrete driveway - this'll be fun :)

That's how printed cement drives are done. The stuff they are sprinkling is the cement dye powder which is then trowelled into the surface, then they wait for it to go off and go over with the moulds and bash them into the semi-dry surface to give the paving pattern.

If they do it properly (!) they should come backe the next day and cut expansion gaps and fill with mastic sealant.

Reply to
Andrew

Too outing :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I await with interest :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No it doesn?t, essentially because with the cheapest dirt roads you are stuck with what there is there because its not affordable to add anything even when the dirt is the worst there is.

With some of the clay soils, all you need is a decent amount of rain even a fully loaded semi sill get bogged right down to the axles and it will be impossible to get it out until it has dried out and that can take weeks or the entire wet season.

And even when you do get it out, that road will be completely unusable by anything until its been graded again.

But it doesn?t work in northern australia and plenty have had to abandon the semi for the entire wet season.

Sure, but plenty of places arent like that and its never going to be possible to add anything to the dirt track to make it useable after a heavy downpour because the track is so long.

Again, that depends on the dirt.

And plenty of dirt tracks are much worse than that.

jeikppkywk

More to the point, where did the ready-mix lorry discard its wash-outs ?. If they just washed out into a roadside gully then that is naughty.

Reply to
Andrew

The guys have spent all afternoon busy washing the pavement and neighbouring drives down and brushing it into the road gully.

As I said, this is a bog-standard 3 bedroom house, and they have spent almost every day (including Sundays) since November last year "working on it". I have no idea what they've been up to out back, but there's rarely been less than 3 at any one time. Even with my pisspoor bricklaying skills, I reckon I could have put a house up on my own in that time.

Needless to say their conduct has reinforced my vow to die before I let another tradesman anywhere near my property ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Outing? Adam was asking about videos of the *builders*, not you displaying your sexual orientation.

I think :)

Reply to
Robin

Too much time elsewhere :) in this particular instance, it might reveal where I live and that would be the neighbourhood gone :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Er, that's what I said wasn't it?

Reply to
Chris Green

Impressing fake paving patterns into the concrete?

turn speakers down/off ...

Andy Burns

Nope, those arent corrugations, those are immense longitudinal ruts that will see your vehicle bottom out with the wheel off the ground in the rut.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

It appears that one of the money-saving dodges in current housing estates is to do much of the roads in block paving, but somehow designate it as private access. Seems that can save on street lighting too. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

By corrugations I meant transverse corrugations, not 'grooves' along the track. The graded tracks in Oman very rarely if ever got longitudinal ruts in them, just the corrugations.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, that was obvious.

Which might be why I said it depends on the dirt.

When its clay, where you get heavy downpours at times, you get a hell of a lot more than just corrugations.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

Remember Paul my next door neighbour that I You Tubed concreting his front garden 8 years ago?

I met his second eldest son the other day at HMP Lindholme.

Reply to
ARW

Inmate or employee?

Reply to
S Viemeister

Is he one of the characters in this episode of the never-ending story of how not to fix your drive?

Robin

Inmate. He recognised me.

Reply to
ARW