1" concrete driveway - this'll be fun :)

Talking about climate activists again?

Reply to
dennis

I would be surprised if a foot of tarmac is a good idea.

Much of the strength/support of a road / drive etc comes from the lower levels. Typically, compacted, graded, stones ( sometimes called hardcore but actually far more closely packed that hardcore). Then a layer of coarse tarmac- with larger stones- then a top coat. That is a proper job, not your ?Left over from another job, cash in hand, cheapie.?

Reply to
Brian Reay

If you actually resesarch the history of roads, its clear that muddy tracks had gravel and stones thrwown in, and got less muddy: then they discovered that lots of gravel; or limestone made an even better surface, esepceailly with finer particels (cerated from crushing the limestone or adding smaller grades of shingle ) which compacted and held everything together and indeed drained well.

This is pretty much what overseas is called a 'dirt road' garded rock and sand that can ve esily regraded if it gets flooded or potholed

The problem is that it is prone to both and to dust. Mr MacAdam decided to statbilise the top layer with tar so it didnt create dust and it didnt wash away or pothole

Unfortunetaley that made it impervious meaning te road need to be crowned and to have drainage at the side of it. But the tar layer is never more than an inch or two on a new road. Subsequent additions of a new skin may of course increase that.

My personal excpereibce is that round 2-4" of crunch'n' go MOT type 1` limestone is enough for the occasional 30 tonner and more than enough for a car.

Why goes on top is decoration. I piut this on my verge where people used the drive entrance as a layby and its taken all te trucks and has grass growing on top.

Elsewhere it has 1-2" of gravel.

,
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apart from all the burglaries, muggings and thefts from vehicles to fund their habit.

Plus all the murders around the world that are part of this trade.

Plus the lives of addicts (and their families) that are totally fecked.

If you suspect it is a drug dealers enterprise then tell the police.

Reply to
Andrew

The geology of this part of sussex is greensand. Actually there is a layer of red sand all over (and quarries extracting it).

When a trench was dug in the A road going through the village, there was less than a foot of tarmac and hardcore and then a metre thick layer of red sand on top of clay.

Reply to
Andrew

Most of which are a result of the circular logic of prohibition.

Actually, I'll do what I see fit, thanks. I know the day will come when we're all required to become informants or be jailed ourselves, but until then I'll rely on my conscience.

Few things rile me more than people pretending the law is some sort of holy writ. It isn't. Never was. And as far as I am concerned never will be.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

There is a very big variation in how dirt roads are done.

At the low cost end, basically a road grader is run over the dirt and nothing is added at all. At the other end, lots of stuff is added and that is what is put in place by the road grader.

And with the roads that have nothing added, immense ruts that are nothing even remotely like potholes.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

They *are* the police....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So you support illegal drugs then? And all the crime that goes with it.

I witnessed a machete attack on a driver during a road rage attack I suppose I shouldn't give the police the dash cam footage?

One other person was run down too but so what?

Reply to
dennis

I am currently driving past a new-build section of road every day.

Over the past few months they have levelled it, laid and compacted a deep layer of stones and sand (by the looks of it), put in drainage and kerbs. Last week they started tarmaccing it. The first layer looks to be

4 to 5", the top layer is going on now and looks to be another 4" at least.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

whoosh

Reply to
tabbypurr

I do that roughly once a week, and drive on the road being prepared too. Basically because a mate of mine has bought a block there and has been told that he will be able to start building in October roughly and it has been interesting to watch the other work being done like the storm water drains etc An immense ditch at least 20' deep for the concrete pipes and and immense pile of dirt that must be 40' high that is currently being moved with semis to somewhere else its been interesting to watch.

This one is something like a foot deep of what we call road base which is a form of course gravel, no stones at all.

Yeah, those went in a few weeks ago now before the road base.

Ours hasn?t gone in yet. Another massive rebuilding of a street in the main shopping area of the town has just been sealed and the contractor managed to f*ck that up and is now in the process of doing that again at no cost to the council.

You meant the stones and sand or the first layer of tarmac ?

Ours will be nothing like that. The road base is not even an inch below the kerbs.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

Exactly my point! :-)

Absolutely!

Reply to
Chris Green

It also presumably depends on the 'dirt'.

We lived in Oman for many years (I worked for the national oil company) and the graded tracks there were pretty good because most of the oilfields were on stony desert and thus just about everything had a solid 'hardcore' base. I always described the desert I was familiar with as 'lookig a bit like a building site' because of its similarity to hardcore.

The main problem that the graded tracks suffered from was corrugations produced by vehicles travelling on them, that's *transverse* corrugations which made the track feel like you were driving across corrugated iron. The graders just needed to smooth out the corrugations periodically.

Reply to
Chris Green

No, he supports legalising drugs, which would remove a great deal of the 'nastiness'.

See above, legalise it and the 'crime' goes away.

Reply to
Chris Green

That's a tad simplistic. But generally I'm not a fan of laws that arbitrarily decide X=good,Y=bad. I'm even less a fan of them when tonnes upon tonnes of bullshit and logical inconsistencies are required to justify them, given the UK is supposed to be a liberal democracy.

"the law" is a man made construct. In the case of drugs, it's been man made appallingly badly. Or rather man-applied appallingly badly. If successive governments had actually complied with the 1971 MDA, rather than unlawfully applying it, we might be in a different position.

Anyway, regardless of drugs or any other issue, I'll decide what I will tell the authorities, and I'll live with the consequences. As a meme I saw recently noted: "The people that hid Anne Frank were breaking the law, the people that killed her were obeying the law".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well after a lot of fuss about what seemed f*ck all yesterday, the concrete lorry arrived today and spent about 2 hours pouring whilst the "workmen" brushed it into a surface.

They are now doing goodness-knows-what with what appears to be a large mat and sprinkling powder (cement ?) all over it. Dust everywhere.

I get the impression the house has been bought by a wannabe landlord who's got his extended family in to help these past 9 months. Just from watching one of them trying to use a woodsaw, it's clear their talents lie elsewhere. I just hope they've not been at the electrics or gas.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

First layer of tarmac.

Reply to
Steve Walker

when I put in a road access to our first house - in 1964, I was required to make the access to highway standards. 6" of hardcore followed by 6" of concrete.

Reply to
charles

Why have you not videoed this and put it on YouTube for our amusement?

Reply to
ARW