1" concrete driveway - this'll be fun :)

wrote:

I do that roughly once a week, and drive on the road being prepared too. Basically because a mate of mine has bought a block there and has been told that he will be able to start building in October roughly and it has been interesting to watch the other work being done like the storm water drains etc An immense ditch at least 20' deep for the concrete pipes and and immense pile of dirt that must be 40' high that is currently being moved with semis to somewhere else its been interesting to watch.

This one is something like a foot deep of what we call road base which is a form of course gravel, no stones at all.

Yeah, those went in a few weeks ago now before the road base.

Ours hasn’t gone in yet. Another massive rebuilding of a street in the main shopping area of the town has just been sealed and the contractor managed to fuck that up and is now in the process of doing that again at no cost to the council.

You meant the stones and sand or the first layer of tarmac ?

Ours will be nothing like that. The road base is not even an inch below the kerbs.
On 13/09/2019 00:25, jeikppkywk wrote:

First layer of tarmac.

when I put in a road access to our first house - in 1964, I was required to make the access to highway standards. 6" of hardcore followed by 6" of concrete.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
charles wrote:

It appears that one of the money-saving dodges in current housing estates is to do much of the roads in block paving, but somehow designate it as private access. Seems that can save on street lighting too. :-(
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

It also presumably depends on the 'dirt'.
We lived in Oman for many years (I worked for the national oil company) and the graded tracks there were pretty good because most of the oilfields were on stony desert and thus just about everything had a solid 'hardcore' base. I always described the desert I was familiar with as 'lookig a bit like a building site' because of its similarity to hardcore.
The main problem that the graded tracks suffered from was corrugations produced by vehicles travelling on them, that's *transverse* corrugations which made the track feel like you were driving across corrugated iron. The graders just needed to smooth out the corrugations periodically.
--
Chris Green
·

No it doesn’t, essentially because with the cheapest dirt roads you are stuck with what there is there because its not affordable to add anything even when the dirt is the worst there is.
With some of the clay soils, all you need is a decent amount of rain even a fully loaded semi sill get bogged right down to the axles and it will be impossible to get it out until it has dried out and that can take weeks or the entire wet season.
And even when you do get it out, that road will be completely unusable by anything until its been graded again.

But it doesn’t work in northern australia and plenty have had to abandon the semi for the entire wet season.

Sure, but plenty of places arent like that and its never going to be possible to add anything to the dirt track to make it useable after a heavy downpour because the track is so long.

Again, that depends on the dirt.

And plenty of dirt tracks are much worse than that.
https://www.4-wheeling-in-western-australia.com/images/Hilux-on-Rutted-track.jpg

Er, that's what I said wasn't it?
--
Chris Green
·

Nope, those arent corrugations, those are immense longitudinal ruts that will see your vehicle bottom out with the wheel off the ground in the rut.

By corrugations I meant transverse corrugations, not 'grooves' along the track. The graded tracks in Oman very rarely if ever got longitudinal ruts in them, just the corrugations.
--
Chris Green
·

Yes, that was obvious.

Which might be why I said it depends on the dirt.
When its clay, where you get heavy downpours at times, you get a hell of a lot more than just corrugations.

Exactly my point! :-)

Absolutely!
--
Chris Green
·

On 11/09/2019 17:11, Jethro_uk wrote:

Apart from all the burglaries, muggings and thefts from vehicles to fund their habit.
Plus all the murders around the world that are part of this trade.
Plus the lives of addicts (and their families) that are totally fecked.
If you suspect it is a drug dealers enterprise then tell the police.
On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 13:51:54 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Most of which are a result of the circular logic of prohibition.

Actually, I'll do what I see fit, thanks. I know the day will come when we're all required to become informants or be jailed ourselves, but until then I'll rely on my conscience.
Few things rile me more than people pretending the law is some sort of holy writ. It isn't. Never was. And as far as I am concerned never will be.
On 12/09/2019 15:46, Jethro_uk wrote:

So you support illegal drugs then? And all the crime that goes with it.
I witnessed a machete attack on a driver during a road rage attack I suppose I shouldn't give the police the dash cam footage?
One other person was run down too but so what?
On Thursday, 12 September 2019 22:31:05 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

whoosh

No, he supports legalising drugs, which would remove a great deal of the 'nastiness'.

See above, legalise it and the 'crime' goes away.
--
Chris Green
·

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 10:04:22 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

That's a tad simplistic. But generally I'm not a fan of laws that arbitrarily decide X=good,Yd. I'm even less a fan of them when tonnes upon tonnes of bullshit and logical inconsistencies are required to justify them, given the UK is supposed to be a liberal democracy.

"the law" is a man made construct. In the case of drugs, it's been man made appallingly badly. Or rather man-applied appallingly badly. If successive governments had actually complied with the 1971 MDA, rather than unlawfully applying it, we might be in a different position.
Anyway, regardless of drugs or any other issue, I'll decide what I will tell the authorities, and I'll live with the consequences. As a meme I saw recently noted: "The people that hid Anne Frank were breaking the law, the people that killed her were obeying the law".
On 12/09/2019 13:51, Andrew wrote:

They *are* the police....
look exactly the same afterwards."
On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 16:41:41 UTC+1, jeikppkywk wrote:

ved

on

y sure,

like paving.

ve

en

Imprinted concrete is OK if properly done.

This one has been there for atleast a decade now and is still perfect.
Rather deep imprinting which I find awkward to walk on. Big squares about 8" square giving a sort of cobblestone effect.