0844 numbers

True, but it will do no harm to tell them. They offer Online Tracking, but only a 7p/min line for actual enquiries if the online tracking doesn't work. Is the link that I found the best one to quote, or is there a better one?

They in fact gave an 0871 number, and stated that it would cost 13p/min plus any network charges. So I sent them an e-mail message instead, it was and is outside their stated business hours anyway, so a 'phone call would have been pointless at that time. DX, to their credit, responded within a short time, on Saturday, with a credible response, whereas Samuel Windsor, not surprisingly, will probably wait until Monday.

Reply to
Davey

I have just carefully read through the order confirmation message from Samuel Windsor, hoping to find a non-0871 number, but there are only three references to one 0871 number, with the 13p/min cost only mentioned on the last line of the message. A non-premium number quoted in this message would have satisfied the requirement.

Reply to
Davey

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Payments) Regulations 2013, Regulation 39.

Andrew Gabriel

FWIW I would point them to the specific regulation - regulation 41 of The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013

which is short enough to quote:

"Help-line charges over basic rate

41.-(1) Where a trader operates a telephone line for the purpose of consumers contacting the trader by telephone in relation to contracts entered into with the trader, a consumer contacting the trader must not be bound to pay more than the basic rate.

(2) If in those circumstances a consumer who contacts a trader in relation to a contract is bound to pay more than the basic rate, the contract is to be treated as providing for the trader to pay to the consumer any amount by which the charge paid by the consumer for the call is more than the basic rate. "

and then probably point them to a Trading Standards site such as

for

"Basic rate telephone helpline charges If you provide a telephone line for consumers to contact you in relation to a contract that they have entered into with you, you cannot charge more than a basic rate for this service. Therefore you can only charge normal geographic or mobile rates. A consumer should not pay more to contact you about his purchase than he would to phone a friend or relative.

Consumers who are charged more than the basic rate are entitled to claim any overcharge back from you.

You should check carefully whether your phone line does cost consumers more than basic rates. In addition to numbers beginning 09, other revenue-sharing numbers such as 084, 0871, 0872 or 0873 would not comply. Nor would 0870 numbers, which would vary according to the consumer's own phone tariff.

The following numbers comply with the Regulations:

a.. geographic numbers - starting 01 or 02 b.. non-geographic numbers - starting 03 c.. Freephone numbers - starting 0800 or 0808 d.. mobile numbers - starting 07 (except numbers starting 070, which are not mobile numbers) " (NB the inclusion of mobile numbers surprises some and can certainly be a trap for those who still use mainly landlines with call packages which don't include calls to mobile numbers. () But AIUI them wot decided didn't want to penalise entrepreneurs - mostly of course the folk previously known as self-employed.)

Reply to
Robin

It says "draft".

Reply to
pamela

Perfect, thank you.

I have come across those 070 numbers, they can charge the heck out of you. The first time.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

GIYF :-)

It's not hard to find the final regulations (not that an august 2013 draft is likely to be much different)

Reply to
Chris French

The DX site now shows the package as ready for delivery tomorrow, which is perfect. No response from Samuel Windsor yet, but it is still early(ish) on Monday.

Reply to
Davey

and, in Wales, they might be borrowing the Scottish Bank Holiday.

Reply to
charles

The package arrived today, and to reference a discussion elsewhere, the driver took a picture of the house as he approached it, and my signature, as entered on his delivery device, was very legible.

And Samuel Windsor have accepted my feedback, and say that the issue raised has been passed to senior management for investigation.

So far, progress.

Reply to
Davey

"Why"

simple answer to make money, no if's buts or maybe .... anybody using such a number is doing so to make money.

It's common practise.

Reply to
rick

Which question were you answering?

Reply to
Davey

Assuming the call is 5 minutes, it'd cost you 35p, hardly anything to get upset about. If ANY call including freephone takes longer than 5 minutes to get an answer, I hang up anyway. I can't be bothered wasting my time waiting for someone to pick up the phone.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What is upsetting is that they continue to use a money-making 'phone number when they are supposed to not make a profit from customers trying to get information about their deliveries. If the business handles lots of calls, that's a lot of money they skim from their customers. That's wrong.

Reply to
Davey

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 19:55:02 -0000, Davey wrote:=

It's not a profit. Do you think the workers in the call centre get paid= only 7p/min =3D =A34.20/hour?

-- =

How to interpret a Pregnancy Test kit: Blue means not pregnant. Pink means pregnant. Brown means you had it in the wrong hole.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What call centre? These are direct money-making lines direct to the premises.

Reply to
Davey

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 23:41:50 -0000, Davey wrote:=

Are you or are you not talking to a person? What's the minimum wage? C= ompare the two amounts.

-- =

You need only two tools in life. WD-40 and duck tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why? This is a business, charging for calls that should, by law, cost no more than Basic Cost. Minimum wage has nothing to do with it.

Reply to
Davey

Someone has to answer those calls and has to be paid to do that.

Reply to
jack

Absolutely. This is something that should be taken into account when pricing a product/service sold. The (well-overdue) new law, however, does not allow companies to profit from receiving call from customers.

Reply to
JoeJoe