Stone over concrete porch: Abutting exist columns

We plan to cover our existing concrete porch with stone tile. How do we address the stone abutting existing wood column bases? They currently have a half to 1 inch gap for circulation and don’t want the stone held back from the base -creating a trough. Do we lay stone up the the column base and drill openings in columns for air?

Reply to
Home Style