are coffee grounds bad for plumbing?

Are coffee grounds good or bad to put down the drain?

Reply to
Anonymous

Given that your drain is probably not even a couple of feet away from the kitchen trash can, simply throw them into the trash. This way you don't have to worry about any consequences. I haven't seen a drain that was completely clogged by coffee grounds myself (not a professional plumber either), but I did hear and read here at HOH quite a few anecdotal stories about coffee grounds clogs, and see no real reason to flush them given that other ways of disposal are so easy.

Also, there are ways to use them in compost, evidenced by a number of posts in the garden forum, such as this one

, and others, so you might even consider saving them instead of disposing of them. Either way, *not* flushing coffee grounds down the drains seems like a better way of handling them.

Reply to
homeowners