Questions about replacing a septic drain-field

Hello,

After pumping out our septic tank, I'm told that my drain-field is clogged, probably with roots. After digging out the entrance to the drain-field, I see that there is no distribution box, just Teed off PVC branching into the drain lines.

I can't afford $5k+ for professionals to replace my field, but I don't want to do a crappy job. There's some good information here

, but can I ask a few questions:

1) Is the lack of a distribution box a big or little problem? Can I just copy what was done 30 years ago?

2) If I just buy 4" schedule 40 PVC and drill 1.2"-3/4" weep holes, how far apart should they be? Or should I buy something else?

3) What kind of soil barrier should I put over the gravel above the trenches? Should I use something quality like tar roofing paper?

I live in the Florida Keys, where the soil is about 6" deep over petrified coral and limestone. I plan on manually excavating one trench at a time, as time allows, and replacing the old with the new, scrapping the old next to or on top of the new before filling it back in.

Thank you for your help.

Bill

Reply to
Bill C