Plastic v. Brass

With regard to the tail piece and P-trap below the sink, your opinions and advice comparing brass(chrome) to plastic (PVC) would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you gentlemen in advance

Reply to
John Smith

"John Smith"

Both work just fine. I use chrome if it's exposed (except in a basement or laundry room), and PVC if it's concealed.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Personally, I prefer plastic. It's cheaper, easier to work with to cut to size, and it is chemical-friendly and doesn't rot through when homeowners dump draino into their drains. I see zero advantage to using metal.

The only place I use metal tubing for my tailpiece and drainage is in commercial installations. And I generally only use metal tubing on hospital or medical installations.

Hope that helps

Reply to
Blackbeard

I prefer 17 ga. brass over PVC. Anything less than 17 ga. is crap, though. I've had problems with PVC traps cracking & personally don't trust them. A sch. 40 ABS plastic trap works well but it's more difficult to install & you'd have to be working with ABS pipe or adapt to whatever pipe is existing. No matter what you use, though, effluent & chemicals will take their toll on the material the trap is made of.

Reply to
TJE

"TJE"

I remember feeling the same way back in the '70's. When you've seen the cracking problem, did you see the cause?

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I work at a plumbing supply house (25 years) and I have NEVER seen a pvc p-trap rot out. But we sure see a lot of brass p-traps with holes in the bottom! My house has all plastic.

Reply to
Bert Yothment

Mike,

To be honest, I've never really explored why the PVC traps tend to crack. And sometimes leak despite making them up snugly with dope. I only know the

17 ga. brass traps seem to hold up better...at least here in NJ and I'm partial to them. Please do educate me as to why you think they crack/leak. I'm all ears.

Tyler

Reply to
TJE

"TJE"

I haven't experienced the problem you've had with tubular PVC traps. I was wondering why they cracked for you. I remember when they first came out. I felt like a DYIer installing them, but they've withstood the test of time.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I guess no trap or tailpiece is foolproof, and certainly plastic is less likely to rot out. But 17 ga. brass is pretty durable. The lighter grades,

20 & 22 ga., do rot out a lot faster, that's why codes call for 17 ga.brass. Maybe I'm ham handed or something but I generally have trouble with the plastic stuff.

Tyler

Reply to
TJE

The real advantage to Metal, BB is FIRE. One sniff of PVC pipe or Siding.....you are a Dead Man. We do use the Code as its a Public Health Code. We did have a Fireman who monitored this NG. I'd like to see his input on this.

appreciated.

Reply to
YS

I've seen many an apt. fire were the whole unit got gutted. The fire though didn't penetrate the drywall or the vanities.all the ABS in the unit stayed intact with NO VISIBLE fire damage. I'd be more worried about the carpeting, sofas etc. If your in that space, the last thing I'd be concerned about is breating plastic fumes.

Reply to
llump41

the pvc is more rugged.

I could not say i have ever seen a trap crack unless it was exposed to uv or frozen

The metal will rot no matter what and you can bump it and make it leak.

"Maybe I'm ham handed or something but I generally have trouble

buy a measureing tape and learn how to use it.

Reply to
NedFlanders

ok ,but was the toilet rocken on the abs flange after the fire?

Reply to
jim donovan