P.S. It was an advert for Kinetico whole-house filtration that started me on this tonight. It seems that, if true, the Kinetico system would be much less expensive than the greensand (and yearly maintenance), softener (with its several-bags-of-salt/yearly appetite), and carbon filter block (at the sink) system we use.

From: Gary Slusser Date: Sat, Jun 27 1998 12:00 am

Frankly, IMO and that of many others, the 'non electric' is nothing more than a gimmick and comes with the short comings you have admitted; their inability to handle iron which you state you have to use manganese greensand to eliminate. You must not do much water quality improvement if you're still using greensand. There are other much better means at less expense and they don't use a hazardous material to regenerate with such as potassium permanganate.

Reply to
dlrider

PP is kewl stuff if in crystals. Put a drop of hot glycerin in a small pile and watch a homemade volcano. Real nice at night.

Reply to
redjacket

Its just not always that simple. Yes a softener can handle 2ppm of ferrous iron. Most iron encountered in the field is not ferrous iron. Often where a Ironfilter is present Other conditions like Manganeese or Sulphur or "Bacterial Iron" exist. All of the above will ruin a softener. A better solution to the Potassium unit (I havn't sold one in twelve years) Is an "Air Injected Iron Filter" when set up properly - and I cant' stress this enough - It will give you many years of trouble free service with only a first time cost. CHEMICAL FREE. You should always get a water analisis done but beware if a salesman from a Treatment company does not check out the inside of your toilet tank, you got the wrong guy. Analisis needs to be done in your home, not just a lab. Eric.

Reply to
Eric Miller

Thanks. Yes, he ran a water test and looked in our toilets and tanks, sinks, shower/bath and washing machine. But where would you suggest I start looking as far as brands for air injected iron filters? This intrigues me.

David.

Eric Miller wrote:

Reply to
dlrider