exploding hot water tank

Hey remember we were talking about that video of the hot water tank blowing up? Well I think I might have found a place to get a copy.

Ned Flanders

I seen that HWT blow up TV. Scary. I have seen HWT put in wrong every wrong way that there is.

No tube on the T&P or the tube is facing a young mother in her laundry room. I hate seeing that !

JP

Pipe plug in T&P, Back pitched exhaust vent, no exhaust diverter, plugged vent, long horizontal exhaust vent, gas water heater with near zero clearance to combustible wood paneling, various gas piping nightmares like 3/8 compression fittings, etc.

MM

Reply to
Mark M.

A pipe plug will make it go thru a roof and I think that is in the video Ned is talking about.

Ned talks of super heat , I recall in my auto class that the steam cars made back when had no horsepower rating. The more steam built up the more HP you get. Its infinity.

I guess you can't guess on the power of a HWT that is building pressure or what that final outcome will be when it explodes. It depends on the weakest part.

Reply to
JP

the one in the vid was only a 30 gal and it leveled a house. there is a preview on the web page.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

I seen a video of a 30 go through a 1 family homes roof and still go another 20' up ? It looked like a rocket going sideways and took most of the roof with it, Kewl ! It may of been on Discovery ?

Reply to
JP

And this is caused by what? I'm going to say it.

Super Heated water flashing into steam when released into atmospheric pressure.

That felt good!

kenny b

Reply to
kennybs

Its Super Plummer !!

Reply to
JP

Better be nice to me or I'll shut the falls off before I leave.

kenny b

Reply to
kennybs

Take my mayor and all in city hall please. I heard of the sand dunes down there, leave 'em with no water.

Reply to
JP

This site has a downloadable video of an exploding water heater shooting out of a hole in a field.

Only a little 12 gallon job, but the tank traveled 400 feet:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia