Anyone here using the IRC

what new code states that a plumbing system dosen't require a stack.

kenny b

Reply to
kenny b

Prolly Colorado....

Reply to
<JP

Heh...all these people want a 2nd floor laundry, most plummers could not tell you what a Suds Zone is let alone put one in. Then you pull out the old sawzall and the carpenters fall over dead when they see you hacking their wood away and now no 3" Vent ......? That should make for a clean kitchen.

Reply to
<JP

You got it. May is ask permmison, Shall is Law. Its 3 " then.

Reply to
<JP

Hey ! Maybe its that Engineer 101 form Florida who wrote it up......you know Hots buddy ?

Reply to
<JP

I prefer a stack all the way through the roof. In my area, most of our plumbers have switched over to the new code and only make on penetration through the roof with a 2".

Then they catch every single remaining fixture in the house with a studor vent.

Personally, I don't like it. But I can see where the savings on time and material make the all-studor vented (with one penetration) significantly more efficient (from a monetary point-of-view only).

Frankly, I've wondered why the code insists on one penetration through the roof. I would think a vent stack studor vented in the attic area more than sufficient. I've not looked into the matter as to why code requires the one penetration. Seems to me no penetrations would be favorable.

Reply to
Blackbeard

Studor vents only allow air INTO the system. A vent through the roof is necessary to let air OUT of the system, which is needed in order to prevent traps from blowing from upstream pressure.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

"Mark Monson"

necessary to let air OUT of the system, which is needed in order to prevent traps from blowing from upstream pressure.

I've been out of the trade too long. Does the UPC allow these Studor vents instead of a venting system? I haven't really been a full-time plumber since 1985, though I do a lot on the side. Studor vents weren't even around back then.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Here in NC we use IPC. Inspectors allow mechanical vents (Studor is the brand name of one of the better ones) but every building has to have at least one through the roof vent.

A couple more reasons why mechanical vents can never totally eliminate atmospheric vents:

1.The entire city sewer system depends on individual building vents to equalize pressures.
  1. The rotting organic material in sewage creates methane gas which has to have a place to go.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

For # 1 that's why I believe in a Whole House Trap.

I know of no reputable Plummer who would use an automatic or mechanical or ' Studor ?' vent.

Reply to
<JP

A running house trap defeats one of the benefits of VTR, #1 below.

Log homes.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

I would never live in a home without a House Trap. There is not any proof a no house trap aids any individual home in venting. You do use a FAV in a whole house trap, right ? Check Kenny's post on a local gas spill.

Log Home ? I only did one, VTR'ed it. They did not make those kind of vents back then.

Reply to
<JP

ya but on the flip side it keeps a lot of toxic and dangerous gases from entering the structure. And in the big cities and populated areas where everyone and thier grandmother are plumbers, it adds a second defense against people who don't have a clue how a DWV system is designed and use mechanical vents.

kenny b

Reply to
kenny b