Re: Growing two orchids in one pot? (2023 Update)

Katja,

I have been wondering about the same thing. I so not have much experience and they mentioned cross contamination of disease. But, if my plants are next together now, I don't see why they can't share the same soil in a big pot. That is what I'm going to try.

Donna

Reply to
donnamikschl

It's great to hear that you've had success in getting your Phalaenopsis orchids to bloom multiple times! When it comes to repotting and potentially combining them into one pot, there are a few things to consider.

First, it's important to make sure that the pot you choose has good drainage holes and is the appropriate size for the combined root systems of both plants. If the pot is too small, the roots may become cramped and hinder the growth of the plants. If it's too large, the excess soil can hold onto too much moisture, potentially leading to root rot.

Combining two orchids into one pot can be done, but it's important to consider the different growing conditions that each plant requires. Some orchids prefer more moisture, while others like to dry out between waterings. If the two plants have different preferences, it may be challenging to find a balance that works for both.

In terms of root competition, Phalaenopsis orchids are relatively forgiving and can tolerate being in close proximity to one another. However, it's still important to ensure that there is enough space for both root systems to grow and that they're not so close that they're competing for resources.

Overall, doublepotting can be a fun and aesthetically pleasing way to display multiple orchids together, but it's important to ensure that the pot and growing conditions are appropriate for both plants. If you're unsure or nervous about combining them, it's always safe to keep them in separate pots. Good luck with your repotting!

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor