A favor

Hello Orchid Fans,

I have a small favor to ask. Would someone who has the Orchid awards from way back when please look up Aranda Floraweb "Kensington"? I believe it got a CCM in the 70's. I finally have it in spike after 5 years and was wondering what to expect.

If you find anything else interesting about the cross I'd really appreciate it. This has been one of my more "challenging" plants to keep alive and bloom so I'm really excited to see what I've worked hard for.

Thanks, Gene

Reply to
Gene Schurg

Hi, Gene,

According to OrchidWiz, it was awarded in '78, 82 points, CCM. It had two spikes and 34 flowers. The cross is Arachnis flos-aeris x V. Emma van Deventer. It's described as being chartreuse with brown spotting and some other colors thrown in here and there for good measure. Should be an interesting flower.

Arachnis flos-aerishere:

V. Emma van Deventer here:
HTH

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

Thanks alot Diana,

This plant is a monster. I'm growing it in lava rock in a 14 inch clay pot. If I sit it on the floor the plant is nearly 6 feet tall. The immature spike is over a foot long so I'm expecting something big.

I was told the plant came from the Singapore Botanical gardens in the late 60s or early 70s, so it has some history.

Should be exciting.

Gene

Reply to
Gene Schurg

From what I understand the floes-aris needs to get tall in order to bloom. From what I understand many of the old Vandas did too, untill the hybridizers bred them for size and easier blooms.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

I have a flos-aeris. It's just a cutting from a larger plant. They tend to grow roots right up the plant, so they can be kept in check re: size. It was in spike when I bought it but the *&^% thing blasted. That'll teach me to listen to my own advice about Vandaceous plants and cold weather.

Diana Kulaga