Your home AC prep for somer

It seems that every once awhile some uniform prospective buyers are giving wrong information on efficiency of Air Condition systems. Let me inject piece of my mind on efficiency of any Refrigeration unit, Air-Condition or Low temperature equipment. I will estimate and go on lame to say that 80% of efficiency comes from Condenser the other 20% is in compression ratio at which compressor operates. Because R-410 operating at much higher pressures, compressors it self pumping ratio is reduced, there for compressor efficiency is increased, not only that but compression ratio playing large part in life expectancy of compressor itself. For this to be achieved condenser must have adequate proper ratings to get ready of heat generated by compressors pump. From my 40 years in field I have found just about on all older system condensers "are" under size, why well it is lot chipper to manufacture. By switching to new systems, gains are almost immediately noticeable. Remember the efficiency does not come from Refrigerant; efficiency is increased because compressor is running at much lower compression ratio. Efficiency come from system at hole and not from Refrigerant alone or Compressor. We are going in winter we are not need of AC but every one should keep in mind that spring will be here soon enough, make sure that your condensers are clean from debris and not blocked for free air circulation.

Reply to
Grumpy

g wrong information on efficiency of Air

frigeration unit, Air-Condition or Low

efficiency comes from Condenser the other 20%

ting at much higher pressures, compressors it

ed, not only that but compression ratio playing

ed condenser must have adequate proper ratings

ield I have found just about on all older

ture. By switching to new systems, gains are

Refrigerant; efficiency is increased because

om system at hole and not from Refrigerant

every one should keep in mind that spring will be

d not blocked for free air circulation.

There is no such thing as "efficiency " for ANY heat pump. There is a Coefficient Of Performance, a different thing.

harry

ing wrong information on efficiency of Air

Refrigeration unit, Air-Condition or Low

f efficiency comes from Condenser the other 20%

rating at much higher pressures, compressors it

ased, not only that but compression ratio playing

eved condenser must have adequate proper ratings

field I have found just about on all older

acture. By switching to new systems, gains are

om Refrigerant; efficiency is increased because

from system at hole and not from Refrigerant

t every one should keep in mind that spring will be

and not blocked for free air circulation.

Wrong again. Actually there is such a thing. In the USA all such systems have a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating which is a key spec listed on every system. It's a guide to how much cooling cooling you get for the amount of electric power consumed. A higher SEER system is more efficient.

Reply to
trader4

I helped change an outdoor unit, maybe ten years ago. The old one coming out was a heat pump unit with a piston compressor. We put in AC outdoor unit with new rotary scroll compressor. The customer remarked how quiet it was. The old unit, so noisy you could hardly be outdoors when it was running. I arrived after the old unit died, so I didn't get to take amp draw reading. I'm sure the new unit was more efficient.

.

In the USA all such systems have a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating which is a key spec listed on every system. It's a guide to how much cooling cooling you get for the amount of electric power consumed. A higher SEER system is more efficient.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

wrong information on efficiency of Air

Refrigeration unit, Air-Condition or Low

efficiency comes from Condenser the other 20%

at much higher pressures, compressors it

not only that but compression ratio playing

condenser must have adequate proper ratings

I have found just about on all older

manufacture. By switching to new systems, gains are

Refrigerant; efficiency is increased because

system at hole and not from Refrigerant

one should keep in mind that spring will be

not blocked for free air circulation.

Reply to
clare

AND, Clare MISSES it again, TRADER4 posted that INFORMATION today.

[----- Original Message ----- From: Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 7:36 AM Subject: Re: Your home AC prep for somer]

Christopher A. YOUNG Learn MORE about Jesus

.

And Harry misses it again. What does SEER stand for?????

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes he did - but it did not appear on my newsreader until after I had posted. So I didn't miss it - just got it late.

Reply to
clare

No, not more efficient. The extra energy does not arise from converting electricity to heat. The "extra" output heat energy is not created from another sort of energy, it is transferred.

So all the electricity put into the system is converted to heat regardless. (100% efficient in all cases.) The extra heat is transferred through the system.

Reply to
harry

No it wasn't. In all cases, all the electricity was converted to heat. All electricity>heat conversions are 100% efficient.

The coefficient of performance may have been better.

You clearly don't understand the technology.

Reply to
harry

Google SEER moron and tell us what the second E stands for. The efficiency being measured is how much COLD you get for a given amount of electricity put into the system. COP is one such measure. In fact the root, "efficient" appears in "coefficient" of performance too.

Reply to
trader4

I assume it's for the benefit of ignorant USAians who were never educated.

harry

The unit I replaced, was using electricity to move refrigerant, used for air conditioning. I didn't get any numbers, but I'm sure the new unit was much more efficient.

You, Harry, are describing filament heaters.

Who didn't understand the technology, Harry?

Christ> On Nov 30, 1:21 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Harry is talking about filament heaters. I'm talking about air conditioning. Perhaps Trader and I can agree that Harry doesn't understand the technology?

.

Google SEER moron and tell us what the second E stands for. The efficiency being measured is how much COLD you get for a given amount of electricity put into the system. COP is one such measure. In fact the root, "efficient" appears in "coefficient" of performance too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Harry has proven time and time again that he doesn't know his backside from a hole in the ground. The best part on this one is he's running around saying there is no such thing as efficiency of an AC unit. Then he cites "coefficient of performance". What root does "coefficient" come from? answer: efficient COP is one measure, SEER is another.

Reply to
trader4

There is more than one way to measure or define efficiency. SEER is Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio - and is THE accepted measurement for air conditioning. The subject is "your home AC prop for somer (mis-spelled)" - so EFFICIENCY (SEER) is correct. And SEER IS also the accepted rating for COOLING efficiency of heat pumps.

The OPsaid he replaced the heat pump with an " AC outdoor unit with a new rotary scroll compressor. " - not a heat pump so any of the accepted ratings would be correct.

Other ratings for HVAC equipment are: EER (energy efficiency Ratio) and HSPF (Heating Season PerformanceFactor) and , yes, COP (Coefficient ofPerformance).

****The Coefficient of Performance - COP - is the ratio of heat output to the amount of energy input of a heat pump. COP can be expressed as

COP = hh / hw (1)

where

COP = Coefficient of Performance

hh = heat produced (Btu/h)

hw = equivalent electric energy input (Btu/h) = 3413 Pw

where

Pw = electrical input energy (W)

If a heat pump delivers 3 units of heat for every unit of energy input

- the COP is 3.

?1 kW = 1000 W = 3413 Btu/h

**Example - COP Heat Pump *Cooling Cycle A heat pump delivering 60000 Btu/h with a total input of 9 kW:

COP = 60000 (Btu/h) / (3413 9 (kW))

= 1.95

*Heating Cycle A heat pump delivering 50000 Btu/h with a total input of 7 kW:

COP = 50000 (Btu/h) / (3413 7 (kW))

= 2.1

****The Energy Efficiency Ratio - EER - measures the cooling efficiency of a heat pump.

EER can be expressed as

EER = hc / Pw (2)

where

EER = Energy Efficiency Rating

hc = cooling heat (Btu/h)

Pw = electrical power (W)

***Example - EER An air conditioner or heat pump in cooling modus draws 1000 W to produce 10000 Btu/h cooling. The EER can be calculated as

EER = 10000 (Btu/h) / 1000 (W)

= 10

****The Heating Season Performance Factor - HSPF - is a measure of the overall heating efficiency of a heat pump during a season.

HSPF = hs / 1000 Pws (3)

where

hs = heat produced during the season (Btu)

Pws = electrical power consumed during the season (kWh)

The HSPF can be regarded as an "average" COP for an entire heating season. It is common to compare BTUs of heat output to watts of electrical energy input. HSPF of 6.8 can be compared with an average COP of 2 and a HSPF in the range of 5-7 is acceptable.

***Example - Heat Pump Heating Season Performance Factor For a heat pump delivering 120,000,000 Btu during the season when consuming 15,000 kWh the HSPF can be calculated as

HSPF = 120000000 (Btu) / (1000 15000 (kWh))

= 8

****Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio is a measure of the seasonal cooling efficiency of a heat pump or a consumer central air conditioning system. Basically EER factored over the entire cooling season.
Reply to
clare

Ain't all that just a long way of saying that harry is a big dummy?

Reply to
trader4

If memory serves, the OP, Grumpy, said to keep leaves away from the outdoor unit.

As for me, the outdoor unit I replaced was pretty ancient. The new one was much quieter, and I believe far less current draw.

.

There is more than one way to measure or define efficiency. SEER is Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio - and is THE accepted measurement for air conditioning. The subject is "your home AC prop for somer (mis-spelled)" - so EFFICIENCY (SEER) is correct. And SEER IS also the accepted rating for COOLING efficiency of heat pumps.

The OPsaid he replaced the heat pump with an " AC outdoor unit with a new rotary scroll compressor. " - not a heat pump so any of the accepted ratings would be correct.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He may well have a lot of talents, in other field. But, on this list, he hasn't done well.

.

Ain't all that just a long way of saying that harry is a big dummy?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It makes no difference whether it's an absorption or compressor system. The principle remains.

And absorption systems are pretty useless.

Reply to
harry

The OP is another American Idiot. There is no difference in principle between any sort of compressor, scroll/reciprocating/rotary. They all do the same thing. Some are cheaper/more compact/last longer than others. But all the electricity they use ends up as heat and is therefore 100% efficient. (As it is in an absorption system too) No other heat is created/can be created, it is merely moved around. So no efficiency is involved.

Read the link in the previous post and try to comprehend.

The COP is limited by the temperature difference indoor/outdoor and the refrigerant gas, assuming correct installation..

And there is no difference between heating and cooling roles. Any apparent difference is caused by the size of the heat exchangers installed. (Evaporator/condensor)

Reply to
harry