You said it couldn't be done!!! (Sagging drain line problem)

> I posted a while back about needing to replace a 25 y/o toilet with a

> > new 1.6 gpf model and being concerned that the lack of water flow > > might cause a problem in our sagging drain line. I've had to put the > > hose end device on the water hose and run it through there more often > > since I changed out the toilet. > > > While I was doing this today, I had an IDEA. What if I built a water > > tank mounted above the cleanout in the back yard and plumbed it into > > the end of the cleanout. When the line needed flushing, I could open > > a valve at the bottom of the tank and push a lot of water through the > > drain line all at (basically) one time. It would be a lot "cleaner" - > > in all meanings of the word - to leave that hooked up and operate it > > often. If I put the tank about the roof line, I'd get 4-5 psi force > > behind it. This wouldn't be the same force as coming out of my garden > > hose but there would be a much larger flow more quickly. > > > What do you think??? > > > Brad > > I think it'd be a bad idea for you to hold your breath while you're > waiting for a call from the Nobel Prize committee. > > Jeff > > -- > Jeffry Wisnia > (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE) > The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.

NAY SAYERS!!! That's what they told Edison and Columbus!

To fix the sagging line, the concrete floor will have to be jack- hammered and the drain routed around the house through several mature tree root systems. BIG $$$$ If I can easily and effectively "flush" the line, I think thought the problem would be solved.

NOW, my concern is, where the sag is may also be where the vent comes in so, if there's water blocking the vent, it could be the reason the toilet still doesn't flush reliably and the tub gurgles when draining. I rented a sewer cam for this morning and will "scope it out" including down the vent pipe to see if its open and if there's space between any water level in the pipe and the vent pipe bottom.

I'm also going to take a garden hose and run it from the front cleanout on the line to the street and the back cleanout. If I fill it with water and measure the height of the top of each cleanout, I hope to determine how bad the fall situation is in the drain line.

Reply to
BradMM

Bob F

ively "flush"

quoted text -

if you find tree roots theres a easy effective cheap solution...........

espically common if your drain is terracota pipe

Reply to
hallerb